Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Chalk Pastel Nativity

The kids and I used this tutorial from Hodgepodge {http://www.hodgepodge.me/2015/12/christmas-nativity-chalk-pastel-art-tutorial/} to make our own nativity scenes using chalk pastels.  It was great fun and this time Xavier wowed me with his attention to detail, his bravery, and his skill.
My finished product...

We love chalk pastels because they are forgiving and encourage you to get just the right amount of messy without being overwhelming!
Laying down the hill...
 The sunset...
 Drawing in the stable...
 Xavier really watched me do mine, looked at the tutorial picture, and concentrated especially hard...
At first he asked me to draw his Mary, Joseph and manger silhouettes but I told him he'd done such a wonderful job on the stable that I simply couldn't take over his project.  I encouraged him to "be brave."
Natalee works quickly with the idea in her head of what she wants it to be before she lays it down.  She doesn't turn back and enjoys the process as much, or possibly more, than the product.
 Natalee's finished product {age 7}:
She consciously made Joseph turned sideways looking at the baby.  I love that she's able to think through those things now!

Xavier's finished product {age 5 1/2}:
His silhouette with the staff is so sweet.  
Something the tutorial doesn't mention that we learned a few projects back is to seal your chalk pastel projects so they don't keep losing dust.  This is easy to do with cheap aerosol hairspray.  The paper will look momentarily dark and ruined but will then dry just fine - however our construction paper does roll up - I solved this by stapling it to another piece before spraying.

Not to be left behind, Dolly used some chalkboard chalk on her paper and added some stickers!
 cheese, mommy!
She also insisted she needed a baby wipe like the rest of us and spent some time scrubbing her paper with the wipe.  Whatever, dude.
 Zayden chose to nap while we "arted."
This was a fun, easy project that let us all shake a little creative energy out and helped us refocus on Jesus as the center of our lives and the season.  Double win!

No comments: