Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Advent Reading

My folks bought me this Christmas countdown years ago because I wanted to use it to do a Jesse tree with the kids.  
I wanted each box to have a little ornament/symbol in it to go with the Jesse tree reading, but as life would have it I was too cheap (sigh - I wish I'd invested!) to buy a set of pre-made ornaments and intended to collect them myself.  As we opened each day, we'd have our small tree set up for these special ornaments.  You see how that went...this beauty has sat empty for the last 3-4 years.  No Jesse tree, no special tree, no special moments leading to Christmas.
This year I decided to do something with it and decided that I could at least write our Advent verses for each day on a slip of note card and put it in each cubby. 
Tonight the kids got to open the first box and read the verse.  Natalee was especially excited to read and Xavier was excited to get in the little door and pull out the paper.  We're using this reading plan, downloaded from reallifetitustwo.com.  The only amendment is that Dec 8th should read: Luke 1:26-38.
 I like that the verses are short, keeping everyone's attention and giving us time to chat on them after.
Natalee spends a lot of time in the Word.  She has amazing Bible skills, and I'm not just saying that because I'm her teacher/mama.
How do you keep Christ the focus of your Christmas?  I can never have too many ideas!

No comments: