Monday, April 14, 2014

Just Eat the Cookies {A Post for Breastfeeding Mamas}

This is the first time I have been able to solely breastfeed my baby and I am loving that my body is able to do this.  Two weeks in and Miss Ameliya and I are finding a great routine in life and I feel so good about myself and what I'm offering her.  

Please know, this isn't a post to knock mamas who supplement with formula...this is a post to encourage mamas who want to nurse and need a friend.  Breastfeeding Natalee was a miserable experience and I nursed Xavier part time for 3 months until stress cut my supply to nothing - I didn't know what to do about it so we just quit.  I went into the experience with Ameliya determined and it's paying off.

I feel like a HUGE attributing factor to Ameliya's ability to nurse so well was our skin-to-skin experience post delivery.  Before anyone ever touched or took her she nursed for 45 minutes.  Babies are born to want to breastfeed and this experience proved that to me.  We also had no medication (epidural, pitocin, etc.) that might have interfered with her want to nurse...she was alert, content and focused on what she wanted.  For the first few days I diligently woke her every 3-4 hours to nurse, if she didn't wake herself.  This helped boost my supply and kept us practicing together on the physical act of breastfeeding {it's okay if it's not natural for you or doesn't come easily...ask for help!!!}.

A few other things I've done this time that I didn't consciously focus on with the other 2 babies are staying hydrated (think along the lines of a full glass of water every time you nurse, with 2-3 between nursing sessions), eating enough good calories, and boosting supply with foods that are natural "milk makers" (oatmeal, for one!).  I chuckled after a recent conversation with my dad...he's finishing up calving season on the farm and had a cow who had a nice set of twins.  He put her in her own lot with a feeder so she can be on "full feed," not sharing with other cows...she has to eat enough to make enough to feed those babies.  Even though I'm not feeding twins the point is the same...eat and drink enough for you and for baby and eat good for you foods!

I'm not going to give you latch pointers or tell you I'm an expert.  I'm not - in any way or shape.  I'm just a mom...but I want you to know that you've got my support if breastfeeding is something you want to do for your baby.  I will tell you to seek help in finding a good latch with baby if that's not something that comes naturally for you...even Mia and I had to work at this for almost a week before we got it down well.  Give yourself time and privacy to get going well!

I am going to tell you if you are having supply issues that I've had great luck with the organic Mother's Milk tea.  It's taste isn't grand but a shot of honey and small spoon of dark brown sugar goes a long way in making it tolerable.  I also have to share this Lactation Cookie recipe with you.  I've made other recipes for friends but my cousin, Martha, shared this one with me and it's far superior in taste than the others I've tried (sorry friends who were the recipients of those other cookies!).  I also feel like it helps give me that extra boost I need to keep a good supply for baby Mia (I went without cookies for 3-4 days and noticed a dip in my supply...prior to running out I was even able to pump an extra 4-6 ounces a day to freeze). 

The credit for the recipe goes to Martha's friend, Celeste...her name is on the recipe card anyways!

1 cup coconut oil or butter (I used butter)
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
4 T water
2 T flax seed
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3 cups old fashioned oats (not quick oats)
1 cup chocolate chips

Prep Brewer's yeast to instructions on package
Add 4 T water to 2 T flax
Mix oil/butter, sugar and eggs
Add flax and vanilla
Slowly add in flour, baking soda and salt
Mix in yeast
Add oatmeal and chocolate chips

Bake 350 degrees (F) for approximately 10-11 minutes.

Likely the Brewer's yeast, oatmeal and flax alone are what's boosting the milk supply...but baked into a cookie makes them go down so much smoother.

So here's to nursing mom's everywhere.  Grab a cookie, drink the tea, relax and go get milk faced!
Cheers to you all!

No comments: