Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Cloth Diaper Try

I finally gave into a month's worth of temptation and tried a cloth diaper on Ameliya today.  I couldn't stand it any longer.  Although we are using "one size" pocket diapers that are supposed to fit from 8-35 pounds, experience from friends and FB groups has been that these fit best at around 12 pounds.  Mike and I got a great steal on a case of natural, chlorine free, organic Honest baby diapers and bought just one case of size 1's.  That's what Ameliya has been wearing thus far and we have 2 packages in that case left to go.  I will NOT waste them or store them - I'm determined to use them up - so today was just a "try it on and see how cute she is" trial.

And cute she is!
Miss "Ham-it-Up" thought the cloth diaper was just fine.  She's wearing a JC Trade "Hungry Hungry Caterpillar" print diaper.  It was a smidgen looser in the thighs than I'd want for everyday wear so another week or two of growth as we finish out our disposables will probably do us good. 

A couple of answers to some questions I've fielded from curious folks:
(1) Isn't it (cloth) bulky? 
Yes, cloth is bulkier than disposable.  There are trimmer diapers than the OS diapers we purchased but we bought these because they are cost effective.  At $3-5 each, if one gets ruined I won't need to cry like I might if I ruined a $20-30 diaper (oh yes, there are such things!).  While cloth is bulkier it's not horrendously bulky...and no more bulky than the big white folded diapers some of us wore with plastic pants over the top. ;)

(2) Won't the laundry be a pain?
I love laundry.  Strange but true.  Will it be more work?  Yes.  But I *am* home all day...not to say I'm here and not doing anything as I take my 'job' of teaching and keeping after three youngsters and keeping house (kinda) pretty seriously.  The diapers will add an extra load every day to every other day.  That's all.  And I don't mind.

Eagerly waiting to switch over 100%!  Remind me of that when I'm knee deep in diaper duty. ;)

No comments: