Friday, October 3, 2014

Disobedience

The children committed their first act of deliberate, premeditated, obvious disobedience this week.  They came in the house and asked if they could play in the sprinkler that had been left out after the weekend.  I said, "no, not tonight."  It was late.  It really wasn't warm.  I didn't want to deal with soggy kids. 
A few minutes later I looked out the window when I heard more than normal shouts of glee and, low and behold, there they were running through the sprinkler.  Apparently Xavier can turn the spigot on and off by himself.  And he did.

I didn't take these pictures in an "oh you disobeyed, how cute" sort of fashion."  I had been checking something with my iPad when I heard them and didn't think to set it down when I walked out of the house.  Truth be told they were cute.  Without them knowing I snapped a few pics on the iPad, all the while keeping my stern and straight face.  Disobedience is disobedience, no matter how cute their soggy selves were.

See Natalee's wet prints where she thought she was coming in for dry clothes?  No, thank you. 
 "We weren't playing in it, Mom, we were cooling our hair off."
Right.  No, you may not come in.  You may go to the back yard and run and dry your wet and soggy selves.

After I sent them out back to run and dry I burst out laughing, then called Mike and laughed with him.  We then presented a united front when he got home and handed out punishments for disobedience.  Mike talked with them about the severity of disobeying a direct order from Mom.  And when they went to bed...we laughed some more.

We never said parenthood was easy or dull!

No comments: