Sunday, May 25, 2014

On the Farm

My kids had a big day at my parents' farm today just living life.  They tinkered on a motorcycle with Papa, found a mud puddle that they "accidentally" stepped in (wink, wink), checked cows, did chores for my uncle...had a grand time.  The best part about these experiences (to me) is watching them live them, and then getting to talk to them about it afterwards.
Over supper tonight we were chatting about checking cows and I could hear Papa Curtis in my son...
"and we had to sit real still on the 4 wheeler cuz those cows were a little rowdy" (or something to that effect.
I think perhaps it was the children that were rowdy and Papa was trying to get them to not startle the cows.

Xavier told me which lot the bulls were in and in which order they fed them and then we had this conversation,
"What was in the buckets you fed the cows?"
{both looked at me a little blankly}
"Was it corn?" I asked.
Finally Xabe says, "well, I don't know - Papa called it something special."
So I'm sitting there racking my brain and reaching into my inner childhood and it finally dawns on me...
"Did he call it feed?"
"THAT'S IT MOMMY!"

Guess Mommy does still know a few farm tricks after all.  

While Papa and the big kids were outside finding ways to get dirty...
 (how I wish I'd taken a picture of their little feet and hands and...)

Mia was inside chatting with Grandma Num, trying not to get sweaty with all her chub rolls.
Okay, in reality she switched between cooing and smiles to rocking with mom & eating and snuggling Papa in the chair and rocking with mom some more and chatting with Gma and Aunt Lauren...because she's a mama's girl and still a bit of a fussy baby.  She *wants* to be happy...she just has trouble staying happy for long periods of time.  We're getting there.
 
I forgot how fast time flies in the summer on a relaxed Sunday afternoon...we had a good visit with my aunt and cousin and before we knew it it was 7:00!  Cheers for a beautiful Sunday summer day!

No comments: