Thursday, May 15, 2014

Ameliya's Lip Tie {Update}

I blogged last week about Ameliya's lip tie.  We went to the appointment on Tuesday of this week, hoping to have it easily snipped in office but discovered it was too thick and vascular to be done with scissors.  Bummer.
The doctors recommended I find a pediatric dentist who could do it with a laser.  Easy right?
Psh.
I'd call dentists and they'd say to call ENTs.  I called ENTs and they'd say to call dentists.  Three hours...three hours I spent on the phone.  The problem was that dentists could do it with a laser but no one was willing to use the laser on a child of Mia's age.  The ENTs didn't use lasers, they only would do it by putting her completely under anesthesia, which I wanted to avoid if at all possible.  I searched and I called.  I did a bit of begging.  I finally turned to my old friend, google, and started called pediatric dentists 2 hours north of us (I'd called the ones 2 hours south of us).  The first office I called was unable to help BUT gave me the name of a guy they thought could.  When I called the 2nd guy's office, Dr. Wade, and explained our situation to the secretary (in what I'm sure was a monotone deadly voice, because I'd done this 20 times already), she quickly said, "sure, Dr. Wade does those."

Wait, what?  Did you just agree to this procedure??  And act like it was customary in your office?  So I repeated this question..."on a SIX week old?" lest she misunderstood me. "Yep.  And actually the Dr. just had a cancellation for tomorrow morning (Wednesday).  Would you like it?"

Say WHAT!?  Hello God, are you sitting beside this angel of a secretary??
I'll admit.  I cried a little bit. 

So I took the appointment, went over the financials on the phone, and then I spent nap time scouring this dentists website.  I fell in love with his mannerisms and demeanor on the net.  I only hoped I liked him as much in the office as I did via computer.

Fast forward to Wednesday morning and we're in Dr. Wade's office. 


The consult was everything I'd hoped for.  Dr. Wade is a huge breastfeeding advocate and was very understanding and knowledgeable as to how Ameliya's ties affect her ability to nurse well and subsequently affect my supply level. 
He did a thorough exam on Ameliya's mouth (which made her quite angry!) and found more than just the lip tie I'd noticed.  She also has a deep vascular tongue tie as well as two rare side ties in the top of her mouth. 
I looked right at him and said "no wonder."
No wonder we weren't very successful at nursing.  No wonder I'm taking 3 herbal supplements, drinking 3-5 cups of lactation tea daily, and chowing down on cookies like nobody's business just to give her something to eat.  And he looked right back and said "you're right.  no wonder."
Sigh.

Tomorrow morning Ameliya will have the laser procedure that will sever those 4 ties and put us on the right path to successful breastfeeding.  It's an outpatient procedure.  Dr. Wade will use a topical anesthetic, use the laser to cut the ties, and hand Mia back to me to nurse and be comforted.  I am anxious on a lot of levels...anxious to have this behind us and have an easier and successful nursing relationship with my baby but also anxious for my sweet girl to have any "procedure" done.  I'm so grateful God led us to Dr. Wade and Mia doesn't have to be put under anesthesia to have this work done.  But if you would, would you please pray over my nerves and Mia's comfort?  Her mouth will likely be tender for the next few days and Mike and I will need to be diligent in rubbing oil over the areas to keep them from reattaching.  Ameliya and I also have to relearn to breastfeed with proper form and technique.

Simply because I want to advocate for other mamas going through these similar experiences I took a video of Ameliya nursing today.  The camera remains pointed at her sweet hand the entire time, because, well, I am a bit modest.  However, I want you to hear her little mouth click along - every time she clicks she's losing suction and having to work that much harder to eat.  It's so frustrating for her and for me.  Having these ties fixed should allow her to get a proper latch and nurse well.  This will hopefully also cut down on her spitting up and gassiness as she won't be taking in so much air.

After Mike gets home tonight I'm hoping we can snap a few pictures of Mia's ties so that we can do some before and after shots later.  I feel like this is a pretty common cause of breastfeeding failure...Xavier's mouth is exactly the same as Ameliya's, right down to the side ties and I only wish I'd known then what I am learning now.  I'm praying my information and experience will help someone else!

No comments: