Saturday, August 29, 2015

My Son, the Fixer

Xavier has been really interested in tools and "fixing" things.  

He brought down his gun the other day and told me all about how it wouldn't shoot.  The lever was locked and so on and so forth.  He decided it needed taken apart and cleaned and checked.  I used to tell him to wait for his Dad to get home for these kind of projects but it's been a long week for daddy and for us, so instead I just said "okay."

He jerked his head up and and said, "I can use the screwdrivers?"

"Yep.  Go for it.  Just understand that Mommy's not very good at those kinds of things so it's all you, Buddy."
He tried several different screwdriver sets, finally settling on Daddy's "special" yellow ones.  
 He worked through his lunch, determined to finish.  He got it all apart and cleaned it with a Q-tip.
He was impossibly cute during this whole process.  Of course, I treated him like the man he was being and didn't call him cute.
He completely disassembled and reassembled the moving pieces of the gun and then was so bummed that he hadn't put something back together right and the pump didn't slide.  I thought he'd give up.  

But instead he did it again.  Took it apart.  Figured out the right way to do it.  Put it back together.
He got it working!
Xavier, I'm proud of you.  I'm excited to see the young man you are becoming.  And...you are cute.

1 comment:

Shonya said...

GOOD FOR HIM! Perseverance is an excellent character trait!