Thursday, August 6, 2015

Dear Darby,

This morning I woke up and you were on my mind.  I've been falling asleep and waking up thinking of names for Baby #4 and that led me to think about how we chose Ameliya's name and then...you.  Tomorrow is also your birthday, which made my memories roll all the more.  
Inside the flashy, fixy, slightly mouthy and wild girl that most of the world knew there was another girl...
She was quiet, not as confident, but full of pure love.  That was the Darby Mike and I knew and loved.
When we named Ameliya Darby after you it was to honor the memory of the true Darby...the one who was slightly insecure but full of pure love.  You'll be happy to know she's living up to that description.  She's full of pure love.
However, as I thought, I chuckled to myself that Ameliya is also living up to the other side of Darby...the wilder, ornier, slightly flashy girl you were on the outside.
Your name sake is full of life.  She's scampish and makes quick choices and never slows down.  She likes to wear necklaces and pretend to put on make-up and "fix up."  She's a little bit "mouthy" even though she doesn't talk (sassy!) and can be known as wild!  
But what I love, is that on the inside, she's full of pure love.  She needs to be held and rocked, and talked to sweetly.  She needs to be reassured and treasured.  

I hope you know, Darby, how treasured you were here by Mike and I.  We saw your dark, bare insides but we also saw the parts of you that were full of pure love, and we loved every piece of you.  I'm thankful you knew Jesus before He called you Home.  My heart soars to know, though we feel like your life on earth was cut short, that you walk with Him.

The years pass by but still we never forget your memory.  When I look at my little girl, I see you - in the sparkle of her eyes and the ornery of her grin.
Love,
Jenn

No comments: