Thursday, August 13, 2015

Cuneiform and Precious Minerals

The educational aspect of this school week was much like the rest - but routine feels good.  We start co-op tomorrow and are SO excited!

We began Homer Price and are enjoying it VERY much!  Natalee has also jumped into the book Then and Now and has taken many opportunities to read it to herself, her brother, and, when she can round everyone up, both siblings. 
We've been studying ancient civilizations in our Usborne Children's History Book and the kids are trying to wrap their minds around a time that is so different than what they are used to.  As we talked about the Sumerians today and their introduction to writing using clay and symbols, we, of course, had to get out the clay and try our own cuneiform.  
Natalee's mountain symbol representing (to her) the type of land someone owned!

Mia desperately wanted to be involved this morning, so, remembering to invite her in instead of treat her as a nuisance, I got out the play-doh while the big kids did clay.  This was her first intro to play-doh and she wasn't quite sure what to do with it but enjoyed trying new things.  She repeated everything I demonstrated.
 

We have also enjoyed talking more about minerals and how gems, gold, and silver from jewelry are actually valuable minerals.   I got out my rings and let the kids inspect my jewels (not sure what is or isn't real here, except my wedding band!) 
and then we talked about how the Bible even mentions valuable minerals.  We read the Scripture in Exodus describing the breastplate and the kids enjoyed replicating the breastplate.  I'm thankful for a science curriculum that reminds our children that everything we have that's good and precious comes from God.

It's been a week at the Jamboree.  Monday, Mia had an appointment, Tuesday I had a meeting, Wednesday I had an OB appointment, today I have a meeting...it's just been busy.  All week long, everywhere we've gone, people have complimented my children's behavior.  While I do expect it from them I try to make sure they understand that, I too, am proud and thankful for their good behavior when we are out (and at home!).  One older lady told me I should wear a medal and be patted on the back, another told me she didn't even know I had children along with me.   While I'm sad that this is what society has come to - well behaved children in public being a rarity - I'm thankful for my teammate husband who has helped me hold these children to a higher standard.  We pray everyday for the people they are becoming and our roles in molding them.

No comments: