Sunday, May 1, 2016

Henri Matisse Art

Our co-op group is supposed to be doing PE on Fridays right now but we've hit a bit of a rainy patch in the weather.  Last week we simply didn't meet but the week before we met and I threw together a lesson about Henri Matisse.  I read a short biography about his life using the book Lives of the Artists and we looked at some pieces of his art and then, of course, created our own Matisse art.  We did collage inspired art, which Matisse called painting with scissors.  He was a painter but when he became too ill to paint he changed to collage art.  Our masterpieces were based off of his piece called "Sorrows of the King."

The kids did a wonderful job staying on task.  We put all the paper choices on two long tables and the children sat on the floor, moving around as they needed to access the paper, scissors, glue, and teachers.  Zayden stayed on my back for the entire hour+ lesson and Ameliya joined right in as much as she was able.  We had 15 students working in a large space and it was a really fun hour!
I asked the children ages 5 and older to try to use at least 5 different colors of paper/patterns for the background of their collages.  This gave them a goal.
Then I asked them to all try to create, or get help creating, a music inspired piece to put on their collage.  Natalee made a drum.
 Xavier got my help making a guitar.
I spread glue all over Ameliya's paper and after she finished cutting she stuck her papers down.  She was a very attentive tiny pupil.
The other children had very fun collages also (they just aren't my children so I'm not going to share their photos).  One child added a person to his collage.  One did his background all in shades of blue and it turned out very neat.  
I am not an artist so I don't feel very comfortable "teaching art."  However, I do enjoy well laid out projects and children who are excited to create (and books that lead me through each step!).  

{This project was taken from my Usborne book Art Treasury.  I love this book!}

No comments: