Monday, December 15, 2014

On Turning 29

When I was a little girl all I ever wanted to be was a mommy.  A teacher, yes, but my heart of hearts always wanted to be a mommy.  I played with dollies way past the "cool" age to play with dollies.  Today, on my 29th birthday I had a living the dream? kind of day.  Today, I was just a mommy.  A mommy to sick children.  
 
A mommy who did laundry, wiped noses, washed dishes, nursed the baby, handed out herbal medicines/supplements/vitamins, laid out school work, 
 played toys, 
 fixed meals, changed diapers, and did all those other glamorous mommy jobs.  

At one point I was standing at the sink mulling over the average old ordinary day that was to be called a celebration and found myself growing a little surly at the fact that on this most important day the children still had the audacity to need diapers changed, noses wiped, temperatures taken, etc., and I remembered...that this was my dream.  I reminded myself to choose joy.  I thought of mommies who have to take temperatures and worry over their children's health full time - those whose children are battling lifelong or terminal illness - and I considered myself blessed.  I thought of mommies who want to stay home and aren't able and I felt my heart start filling.  Choosing joy isn't always easy, on your birthday or not, but once you try it you find yourself turning that direction again and again.

And so, in the spirit of JOY...
I was blessed today to have children who only have colds and coughs, to have new clothes to wear to make the day feel special, to have a new water bottle to fill that kept my water icy cold, to have a warm home and children to fill it, and to have a hubby who loves me enough to bring chocolates, supper and flowers home to celebrate me.  I was blessed with 100+ well wishes on Facebook, texts/calls/cards/gifts from loved ones, and a long soak in the tub with new PJs to put on after.  

So, you see friends, no day is just ordinary if you choose joy and decide to make it extraordinary. 
Thank you all for making my day blessed.

1 comment:

Shonya said...

Love this post!!!!!!

I think we all have those days, when we forget we're living our dream (because it can be HARD) and we feel selfish and have a little pity-party.

But I love the way you CHOSE JOY.

And happy late birthday--I value you and treasure your friendship. (hug)

(and I feel old now. the end)