Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Back to School {Post Pox}

The pox are all dried up and it was back to school for our little scholars this week.  As God would orchestrate it, our studies have overlapped and we've learned a lot about birds this week!  Xavier's workbook had a study of birds, we've talked about birds in Science, and in History we learned about how birds fed Elijah while he was in the desert.
(Sometimes I have to remember to hush and really listen to Xavier tell me what he knows instead of what I think he should tell me.  If you listen you'll hear him tell how the birds can fix their own feathers and how they use their tails to steer themselves when they fly.  He really does listen when I teach, even if it doesn't appear he is.)

Today the children were struggling to focus so I had them draw while I taught Science.  I asked them to draw a bird and make sure it had wings, a tail and a beak.  The little turkeys (pun intended) weren't sure how to go about it, so they traced their hands like I taught them to do last week to make hand turkeys.  Natalee's reasoning, "if a turkey is a bird, then we can use our hands to draw other birds!"  Lazy or genius?
Natalee
Xavier

Since we were already in the mode, we drew a picture to go with our History lesson.  I love their interpretations of Elijah being taken to heaven in a fiery whirlwind.

After lunch they both read.  Natalee is becoming quite an independent reader, but I often have to remind her it's okay to ask for help if she can't decode a word.

(I took this video of her reading with me last night.)


I have some books on CD loaded onto the iPad so that Xavier can listen independently while I clean up lunch.  Today he read Brown Bear, Brown Bear.

Bonus pictures...Wednesday is trash day.  They love trash day!  The collector always waves at them from the window and they always rush to watch him work.

The kids were excited to get out of the house and go back to J.A.M. tonight at church!  We survived the chicken pox (can I get a whoop whoop!?).

No comments: