Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Classic Example of a Rule Bound Child

Natalee is rule bound.  She likes to know what the life rules are to function by and she likes them followed.  She rarely breaks the rules.  When she does it's because she's trying to be funny or have fun with her friends.  

Here's a Type A Example:
Natalee lost her tooth this afternoon at lunch time.  Since she woke from nap I've been trying to get her to lighten up about it and be cheery about life changes and growing older.  Just interjecting little conversations, etc., to help her understand the world is not ending.  I could see it was working so as I was sharpening some colored pencils for the kids (an exciting life I lead!) and she walked by I jokingly said, "How's that hole in your teeth?"

She, with sparkling eyes answered, "it's fine but I wish you wouldn't have made me crunch my tooth up!"

"What!?  I didn't make you eat your tooth!  Did you know it had come out?"

"Yes, but, mom, YOU said it would fall out of my mouth and it didn't.  It fell in my mouth and the rule in this house is we don't spit at the table.  So I had to crunch it because that's the rule."

This was followed by an apology from mom for not making a rule clause and being clear about what would happen.  When the majority of society says "your tooth is going to fall out" we all know that means it's coming out one way or another - in an apple, with your dad's pliers, via a little floss tied to a door knob (maybe some of my fears of teeth and tooth pulling are explainable)...
But in a black and white world where there lives no gray if you say it's falling out that means dropping from my mouth to the floor, table, etc.  

I feel so bad.  And a little giggly.  But mostly bad (and grossed out) that my little girl knowingly crunched her tooth.  Puke.

She made a picture in hopes that the tooth fairy would still come.  It's a bunny tooth fairy with big toes and a veggie garden.  I'm not sure where her fairy wings are I think that's a spider but hey, it's not my picture.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is so like reading character traits of Nolen at that age. Very literal? (Still is) he's learned to lighten up ad he's gotten older, but still likes to know what is coming. Cross country has been so good for him that. A team sport, but depends on individual ability. Hang in there. She's a sweetheart!