Sunday, January 19, 2014

Baby Sewing

Every baby deserves a few new things - even #3!  
Also, babies whose mommies have a purging spring yard sale the year before they are born might need new things if their mommy sold many things she was "tired" of because they'd been through two kids already.  {Not naming names.}

Among the things I couldn't find were our burp cloths.  I'm a fan of burp cloths - if I have a baby in my hands I want a rag to go with it.  I found a few plain old white Gerber prefold diapers that I'd used in the past.  Sigh - so boring.  I don't love double sewn flannel because it's not absorbent enough for us.  But I do love pretty things.  It makes the puke cuter, right?

Following this tutorial I took those plain old white prefolds and a new package of Gerber flats and dyed them to a new state of beautiful-ness.  In a dream world I would have purchased all the RIT colors of the rainbow but as they are a little pricey I chose 3 - purple, red, and yellow.  Using the red I was also able to get pink and with a little yellow & red I succeeded in a light shade of orange.  Since we don't know what we are having we're just having fun preparing for anything.  Girly, boyish and neutral are all fair game. 

The tutorial link above is what I did with the Gerber flats to fancy them up.  These two are all I got to - after the washing, dyeing, ironing, etc., I ran short of time.  But they are DARLING and I'm excited to do more.  They will make the puke cuter I think.

I also spent some time this weekend stitching together some cloth wipes.  We are going to cloth diaper this baby and it's been suggested to me a couple of times that cloth wipes are actually easier because you don't have to separate trash from washables.  I did these using all recycled flannel blankets so if we don't love it we aren't wasting anything.  You know the blankets I'm talking about- the ones that are cute but that aren't big enough to actually wrap a baby in...
At any rate, the wipes are sweet.  Maybe they'll make the poo cuter, too...you think??

No comments: