Thursday, August 18, 2016

Karate

We have decided to let our children branch out a little this year and pursue some individual interests.  Xavier began karate classes this week.  We go two mornings a week for 45 minutes and Miss Twila keeps them moving the entire time.  I appreciate that she isn't teaching Eastern philosophy and instead has purposefully made the class Christian based.  

I'm impressed with how much the kids have learned in just two class periods.  I've been taking notes and videos so we can keep up and practice at home (and show Daddy).  
Twila has high expectations for behavior and obedience in her classroom and I appreciate that VERY much.  The children respond "yes, ma'm" to her and she's quiet but pleasant and firm. 
 A large part of what the kids are learning is how to defend themselves against attack. 
 Today after class she had the children repeat this manta, "Be my best all the time.  All the time, be my best.  I want to show the world Jesus in me."  Beautiful.  We (or I - maybe Mike already knew) also learned today that honor stripes on your karate belt are earned by performance in obedience, helpfulness, etc. at home. 
I'd like to promise that I won't take so many videos in the weeks following but I'm so intrigued by the class that I probably will. 

No comments: