Monday, July 11, 2016

First Day of the Rest of our Lives {or School}

We kicked school off today and it went pretty smoothly I think.  My little pupils were very excited to jump back in and start moving.  They've actually been begging for weeks but I put them off until July.  They love July because that's when they turn over their grade levels - we now officially have a 1st grader and a 2nd grader! 
I also have a very enthusiastic toddler!  Not old enough to be a preschooler but old enough to want to "do it too."  I've made her a little drawer of things to only get out at the table during school and bought her a couple of the Kumon books for 2 year olds.

When I grow up I want to be a mail carrier. -Natalee

When I grow up I want to work on computers in a big building like Daddy. -Xavier

When I grow up I want to be a sister like Nini. -Mia

Reading and math started our morning out.
 Xavier will be spending his first 26 days of school reviewing each letter and it's sound. 
Natalee is continuing her Rod and Staff Level 2 reading that she began last year.  She's 1/2 way through and we'll begin grade level 3 reading and English when she's done - she's slightly "ahead" of her grade level in reading.

Both kids are doing Math U See math this year - Xavier in Alpha and Natalee in Beta.  Both reviewed place value to the hundreds today and Natalee reviewed basic addition facts.

Ameliya did a page in her Kumon Sticker book.  She was so pleased to "do school."

Natalee was most excited about her spelling book.  She specifically requested to get to do spelling as a subject this year and gladly did her exercises.

Another new and exciting subject for us was Spanish.  We're using Song School Spanish and really liked the music and exercises.  I think the basics will stick - if you asked my kids hello, good-bye, and maybe even teacher and student in Spanish tomorrow I *think* they'd remember.  By the end of the week they should be well sown in.
 Ameliya chose to join in and tried to sing along with the catchy tunes.
La maestra = teacher (portraits of mommy!)
 -by Natalee
 -by Xavier

 Wreck it Ralph gets into whatever he can while we learn.

This was one of the new activities in Ameliya's drawer.  Trail Mix and Match.
 Good sorting, Ameliya!

Overall day 1 of school seemed a success.  We were all sufficiently tired from the day but satisfied in what we'd accomplished.  Both big kids asked if we get to have school tomorrow, too...success!

No comments: