Saturday, February 21, 2015

radKID Grads!

Our two oldest children are radKID graduates - Natalee for the 2nd time and Xavier for the first time.  We finished the week out with a little over an hour of class and training every afternoon to complete the 10 hours of education.  (Week one's review is HERE.)
They reviewed safety in the following areas this week: home, phone, dog, water (pool), vehicle, out & about (being aware of your surroundings).  
Seriously, if there is radKIDS in your area - sign your kids up!
Simulation at a store:
Mini Assault Simulations:

We are asked to not take live video on the graduation day but I was very very proud of all the kids.  Natalee didn't freeze, she went through her role well - we will continue to work on her physical strength and being able to respond quickly.  Xavier did amazingly for a 4 1/2 year old.  He soaked in almost everything that was taught and played through the physical skills with a loud voice and strong actions.
I was always worry about Natalee's physical strength.  I was very pleased to see her deliver and swift and powerful elbow to Brett's face during the simulation.

There's a lot I could say about the program, but my friend, Brea wrote my feelings well tonight on Facebook so I'm just going to copy what she said, 
"Today I watched my kids defend themselves swiftly and confidently in a mock set up, a safe environment where they chose to participate. Everything was on the child's terms. (Not a single child was injured. It's about self defense, not fighting.) They are equipped to protect themselves and armed with knowledge and tools for all kinds of situations that our children are faced with daily/weekly. I pray that I can protect my children no matter what but it's not reality. I can't always be there. I'm so thankful they know ways to protect themselves.
Look up radKIDS. Listen to the founders story....he was tired of showing up too late (to crime scenes. He was an officer). Tired of trying to find an answer to a child's question: "why didn't you get here fast enough?" ... Gut Wrenching.
Equip the children."


As a mom, I want to be enough.  In the instance that I'm not, I'm thankful that they have tools to fight back and knowledge to know it's okay to do so.  I got misty eyed 11 times today - each time a child fought and got free during simulation.

 Look at this group!  Eleven children participated representing four families.
Kids, we're so proud of you.

No comments: