Saturday, December 19, 2020

Glasses By the {Almost} Dozen

Does anyone else order glasses by the dozen? Okay, not quite a dozen, but 10 fresh pairs of specs arrived today.  
We all had eye appointments recently and, surprise of all surprises, little Zayden is still holding out!  He did not need glasses again this year!  I must have taken good vitamins when I was growing him.  All the rest of us needed an upgrade - everyone except Xavier just had slight changes in prescriptions.  Poor Xavier was only seeing 20/50 when the doc checked him out so he had a great need!
We have ordered from ZenniOptical for years with great luck.  I know there's a lot of disagreement about ordering online, but I have to be honest and say it's how we afford to keep 5 of us in glasses.  Our health insurance covers the eye exam and doesn't touch the glasses.  This time around I ordered 2 pairs for each of the kids - a pair they chose and then a lesser priced pair as a back up.  No more stressed out Daddy trying to fix glasses in a pinch because we don't have another pair.  To be fair, it's not a zenni issue that we have had glasses break - we've had glasses from eye offices that break, too.  It's called children.  
We are very choosy when we pick frames online.  I've gotten decent at sizing the frames for the kids, we only let them buy frames with spring hinges, and we always upgrade to anti-glare.  I also ask the eye clinic to measure our PD before we leave and I request our scripts that day, too.  For Mike, we put blue blockers on his lenses since he's at the computer so much.  We have ordered from other companies, but zenni remains our favorite for price and customer service.  We have had trouble a bit with their glasses that have plastic nose pieces but honestly, Wal-Mart will replace them for a couple bucks and so we just know we usually have to have that done in about six months.  The kids prefer glasses without the plastic nose pieces anyways, and as long as I size them right, they can keep them up on their tiny noses.
Anyways, enough rambling and tips about ordering online...

Frames #1
Like I said, Zayden didn't need glasses.  But when a huge package arrives and you aren't included a bit of sadness sets in.  Perhaps jealousy threatens.  Anticipating this, I had already planned for Mike to pop the lenses out of a set of old frames, and he was happy as a silly lark to be a part of the fun.

Frames #2

This crazy life we live!

Natalee likes her oval frames the best and she's lovely, and looking so old.

The handsome 10 year old chose teal and a green/silver pair.  The teal fit him just a bit better but I think daddy or Papa can get the others shaped to work well, too. 

Mia's favorites are her pink but she loves the purple, too.  She'll be the one who will use her different frames as accessories.  She's also the hardest on frames.  Her old tie dye frames were holding on by a thread and a lot of super glue.

Mr. Glasses-Wearer Wanna Be
He's adorable, but I'm really glad I don't have to keep real glasses on him.  He's SO busy - climbing, flipping, jumping, tumbling....

Mike and I got new glasses, too, but our tastes must have set in because the new frames we chose look a lot like our old ones.

I did snag myself a second pair, just for fun.  Thanks Zenni for the amazing Cyber Monday sale!

No comments: