Saturday, December 19, 2020

"Gingerbread" House Making!

Today was the much anticipated gingerbread house making day!  In the past we've done either graham cracker houses hot glued together, or the houses from the kits (often still hot glued together) - neither of which our kids can eat (hot glue + we don't do food dye).  This year I saw the tutorial for pop tart houses and decided to give it a go.  I made "gingerbread house cement" royal icing and they assembled so easily and sturdily!  We will definitely do these again!  

Strong enough to squeeze the frosting bag! Go girl!
I wanted pop tarts that were dye free so the kids could eat them, too, so I chose unfrosted brown sugar ones for the side walls, and the frosted brown sugar pop tarts for the roof.
Zayden had a hard time getting started because he kept going through all the treats I'd gotten for decorating and saying, "can I taste this?"  The only thing I bought that had dye was the gumdrop Dots, so they were allowed to taste them but not indulge.  No one really cared about them anyways - Zayden probably liked them best.

This was really a lot of fun.  We waited until Ev napped because little sis would have eaten all the food and fussed at us, and it was really a very calm, sweet hour together.


I got those windmill cookies at Aldi - so cute.

impressive kindergarten pattern work on the roof!

We used teddy grahams, dye free "M&Ms", chocolate chips, dye free mini gummy bears (in the aisle with the ice cream toppings), mini chocolate chip cookies (another ice cream topping), dye free fruit loops (aldi), the spekulatius cookies (Aldi), dye free sprinkles (Aldi), dye-free jelly beans (Trader Joe's) and dye-full Dots.
My icing buddy.
"Can we eat them?"

No comments: