Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Bunked!

Friday evening a friend stopped by to drop off her book order.  We were chatting about the area university having a surplus sale and I mentioned that I was trying to decide if it was worth dragging 4 kids along this Wednesday to try to score a $15 set of bunk beds that they were advertising.  She asked where I wanted to put bunk beds (I mean, our house IS full) and I told her we wanted them in the girls' room so they could get some of their floor space back.  We didn't want high ones, but I figured for $15 Mike might be able to cut them down and they'd work.  Low and behold she said, "well we have bunk beds on our porch getting ready to go to the clothes nook (local thrift store) for donation."  They had been doing some room rearranging themselves and decided to get rid of this older set of bunk beds.  How exciting!  Is that God or what?  And the bunk beds are low - not super tall ones like metal ones.  Perfect!  She cautioned me that they needed painted, and this summer I hope to haul them back outside to to freshen them up, but for now we have two very happy little girls! 
It took Natalee awhile to conquer the ladder.  This daily physical therapy will be excellent for her!  She loves laying on her bunk and reading!
Little britches scaled the ladder in 30 seconds!
Xavier is trying so hard to be happy and not jealous.  He wants a roommate so badly.  Soon enough, son!
Their room looks so much bigger.  We switched Ameliya and Xavier's mattresses, because Xavier's was a thinner foam pad mattress, which gives Ameliya more head room on her bottom bunk.  Plus it was time for Xavier to have a thicker "real" mattress.  He felt special to at least get a little something new to him out of the deal.
 I was reminded that I actually disdain putting sheets on bunk beds.  Ha. 
I had a hard time sleeping the first night, worried that Natalee would fall out.  She told me tonight that she's never gotten close to the edge when she sleeps and she's not worried.  I suppose I should trust her seven year old wisdom.  Mike did say he could easily attach a rail to her bed but she wasn't too interested in having one.  I might still creep in at night and shove a pillow beside her to keep her snug against the wall.  We didn't put Ameliya's bed rails on and she did roll out the first night but since then we've put her big stuffed Minnie on that side of her and she's stayed tucked in.  Luckily her's was a short tumble.
"Ameliya, please take your fingers out of your mouth for a picture," which apparently translated to stick out your tongue.
Thank you, James and Shela, for your kindness to our family!  Mike is especially relieved to mark this project off his summer "to build" list.  

No comments: