Friday, July 10, 2015

Handicrafts

I sat down with a friend and mentoring homeschool mom last week to chat about upcoming co-op classes.  It looks like there will be some beginner sewing classes coming through the co-op this season and I was musing that Natalee might enjoy them but I just didn't think her hand strength and coordination were quite there yet.  She hasn't received OT and PT services in a couple of years but we still work at home, however I know she struggles.  I'd tried friendship bracelets and the little band bracelets, both which ended in frustration and wasn't sure what else to try.  My friend suggested "potholder" looms and was sweet enough to drop hers off that same day.  
I called them "coaster" looms to the kids because to me, that's what they are, and sat down with Natalee to see about doing one.
She was able to put all the first loops on by herself.  What a boosting accomplishment!
When we started the cross loops I, at first, lifted the string each time she needed to go "under."  Half-way down she'd learned the pattern and all I had to do was hold on to the end of the loop that she was working on so it didn't slip off.
I did take it off the loom for her as it wasn't a step I was certain on and wasn't ready to teach her.  It had also gotten late on us so I didn't want to push a good and successful time by teaching something frustrating. 
A happy, successful girl!

While we were working, Mia, Mike and Xabe were sitting on the floor with a couple of looms that I'd boughten used that had broken pegs and Xavier {of course} watched what we were doing just closely enough that he was able to figure it out.  I had actually not wanted him to do one, simply because I didn't want this to be competition for Natalee, however he completed it fairly quietly so we just let him be and congratulated him on a job well job.

So, family, guess what you're ALL getting for birthdays and holidays.  That's right.  YOU get a coaster and YOU get a coaster and YOU get a coaster!

No comments: