Friday, July 10, 2015

Crash and Burn {Natalee}

When we were camping a couple of weeks ago we noticed that Natalee's bicycle helmet had a crack in it.  We put it on our mental list and kind of excused it.  Today we were invited to a park morning by friends and decided we would take scooters to share.  Natalee said, "Mom, remember my helmet is broken."  Assuring her it was no big deal and she'd be fine we headed out.  Ten minutes into the morning I heard her scream.  She is sometimes dramatic so I hollered for her to hop up from where I saw she crashed.  One of our friends' sweet middle sons came running up and said, "she really crashed on her face hard."
I hustled along and, sure enough, he was right.
She had crashed...hard.  At first I only saw her nose/face.  But when I moved her hair I saw the big bump and crash mark on her forehead.  Ouch!
Of course, tearfully, she said to me "Mom, if I'd had my helmet it wouldn't hurt this bad."
Sigh.  She's right.
She spent the remainder of the morning alternating laying on a blanket and playing with her friends.  When we got home I put her in the shower to wash her face better and put some stuff on her scrapes and road rash.    
After the pain subsided a bit she told me the thing that's bothering her the most is the big scratch in her line of vision on her glasses.  It would drive me bonkers, too.
Thankfully we are able to order her glasses online inexpensively and she gets along just fine with them.  At rest time I narrowed down her choices and she picked her favorites when her daddy got home.  She has some snazzy new red glasses coming thanks to our favorite online glasses shop, Zenni Optical.  
Grandma Num snagged our Crash a brand spanking new helmet when she was grocery shopping today and brought it by.  She's very excited but more-so thankful to have it!  Lesson learned by all involved, helmets are important in our world!

If you love our Natalee and want to say a prayer for healing we wouldn't turn that down...also, if you'd like to whisper an utterance that her new glasses come quickly we'd be thankful.  Her teacher is lenient and understanding (smile) but the scratch in her vision line bothers her when reading and just functioning. 

No comments: