Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Reading for Pleasure

My little girl is becoming quite a book worm...
She'll read to Mia, to me, to daddy, to Xavier.  On Sunday, when she knew we were going to my folks' for lunch, she chose 4 phonics readers to take along to read to the family. 
Her fluency is getting stronger, however I'm also keeping a close eye out that she doesn't skim over words just because she can get the basis of the story without them (not that I myself would ever do that - ahem).  Her sight word knowledge is growing, which is also aiding in her fluency.  I've also noticed that when writing/drawing for pleasure or when writing an answer in her math book, etc., that she is confidently using phonetic spelling to sound out what she wants to write.  ALL of this excites me, but NONE of it excites me as much as turning around and finding her curled up in a chair with a book. 
Through her, I see little pieces of my childhood.
It's a true pleasure to be her Mom.



No comments: