Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Bible Paintings

We've studied a lot about Creation and The Flood in History and Science over the last couple of weeks.  Today, I gave the children paints on the easel and set them to work making their choice of an ark picture or a creation picture.

Natalee chose to do an ark painting:
She says the ark is on Mount Ararat, waiting for the waters to go down.  She's put a rainbow across the top for God's promise.

Xavier chose to do a creation painting:
He seems to paint a bit more abstractly (wink wink) but when I asked him to tell me about his painting he identified the water in the bottom right with a shark and dolphin in it and then named several other animals and plant life that God made.  I'll take it.

Ameliya squealed like a piggy until I put her on the porch with brother and sister.
 {thanks, Mom!}

One of the most interesting topics we've studied this week is Dinosaurs and it's been a joy to learn with and teach my children that dinosaurs were created on Days 5 and 6 with all the other animals, went in the ark with Noah (some way, some how) and walked with man.  We dug into Job chapters 40 and 41 for possible descriptions of dinosaurs.  Likewise, those descriptions could have been other large animals but it's exciting to see evidence of God's creation of dinosaurs in the Scripture since this is such a controversial topic.  Yesterday we learned about the Ice Age, which could have been brought on by all the water from Noah's flood...after the dinosaurs left the ark, it's possible that the Ice Age was responsible for their extinction.  Lots of theories, but I'm glad to know that my children can stand with assurance and say "yes, God made dinosaurs" and know why they believe that.  This is something I didn't understand until much, much later in life.  We'll be taking the remainder of this week and the weekend to explore more about dinosaurs because they are big and fun and my pupils are young and adventurous!

Oh wait, back to painting... (sorry for the sidebar - I do love learning)
After their paintings were complete I could see how my sensory little Natalee was itching to get her hands in the paint so I rolled out a length of paper and let them at it with the leftover paint on their plates. 
After Natalee applied the paint like lotion to the fronts and backs of her hands, and squeezed it through all the cracks and crevices on her fingers, they did this...
I had thought they might draw with their fingers but obviously not.  It turned out pretty cute - I'll probably save it for wrapping paper!

So grateful for our porch so we can be "outside" on stormy rainy days!

No comments: