Friday, January 28, 2022

Snip Snip and Dot Dot {Cutting and Gluing with Evalynn}

I decided that it was time to give Evalynn a go at using our spring open loop scissors this week.  Children love snipping paper and once I teach my toddlers to snip I can buy myself all kinds of time schooling the other children while the little one happily sits and snips paper into confetti.  Confetti of course, because we would never call their hard work trash.

Before we began I asked Ev if she wanted to try cutting today.  She was very excited.
I've taught all our toddlers (and my former preschool students) to snip in basically the same way.  
First of all, I teach them using single loop spring open scissors.  Then I put their back to me, either having them seated on the table or standing in front of me.  We alternate hands and I watch to see if they have one that controls the scissors better or is stronger.  I make the paper into skinny strips so that their snips make confetti and they aren't trying to cut across a page - they aren't ready for that.  I hold the paper, until they are ready to take over.
Lastly, I try to close the activity before they get fatigued.  Evie acted like she could have cut for many more minutes, but when they are little and trying something new you want to end on a positive note.  She is just two after all, even though she wants to be so much bigger.
Does Evalynn need to do any school?  No, she certainly doesn't.  Does Evalynn want to be included?  Yes, she certainly does.  It's a balance.  What's right for my 2 year old might not be for someone else's and that's okay.
In order to transition away from the scissors without a meltdown at stopping the activity, I asked Ev if she'd like to do gluing next.  Gluing!?  She didn't know what gluing meant, but she readily agreed.
My tips for gluing with a tot are:
Use bottles, not sticks.  Let them strengthen their hands squeezing that bottle.  Let them get a little messy.  Let them figure out how to make a dot and not a puddle.  
Use a newer bottle with a clean, easy to twist tip.  Twist the tip open enough that they don't have to squeeze hard, but not open all the way.  This helps prevent the puddles.  
Expect messes.  Also expect the cutest facial expressions and chatter.  
After Evalynn cut her confetti, I quick cut her two white hearts out of cardstock.  She was able to glue her confetti to the hearts and in this way make a "themed" project all of her own.  She made "the big one for daddy" and was oh so stinking proud to present it to him at supper! 

I genuinely love teaching preschoolers.  My heart is in mourning that this is the last one to pass through our home and I wrestle with holding onto her babyhood and realizing that she wants more.  Teaching cutting, gluing, colors, writing, ABCs, calendar information, weather, learning to read + sensory play, painting, stamping, movement songs ....these are the things that make my heart pitter patter.  I do enjoy the time I get with my older children, and am so amazed at how much I learn teaching them, but nothing brings a nostalgic smile to my heart like a new little preschooler so excited to create and learn.

No comments: