Sunday, November 24, 2019

Mia's New Do

Ameliya has been asking me if she can get her hair cut and I have been dragging my toes and putting her off for weeks.
Selfishly, her hair had become somewhat of a "prize" for me.  When she was sick her hair stopped growing.  For months it didn't grow hardly at all.  After she got well it finally started growing and it pleased my heart so much to watch it get longer and longer.  Each day when I brushed it and braided it or put it up, it reminded me that "we did it."  Sigh.  I had to have a stern talk with myself about not wrapping my emotions up into her hair, because truly her being healthy means living right?
Yesterday she asked again about cutting her hair and I told her absolutely.  And then she balked.  I know she knew I was sad, and I was afraid she'd changed her mind because of me, so Mike and I talked to her a lot about her hair being HERS and how daddy and I will love whatever she chooses to do with it.  If she wants it long that's okay, and if she wants it cut, that's okay, too.
Today she brought us this drawing with how short she wanted it.  See the line at the chin?
So, after worship this morning, off we went.  We still aren't established here, meaning we don't have a stylist, so we headed to a walk-in salon.

Before...
The stylist was so sweet to this mom with tears in her eyes.  A few tears of sadness, but also of intense joy and pride at this girl for knowing what she wants and being brave.  Why do I have to let emotions wrap themselves up in every single facet of life?
The stylist braided up Mia's hair for me and handed it to me with a smile.  She asked if Mia'd been sick and while we were chatting she said that people, especially children, who have had a lot of sickness/medications often have a different texture or feel to their hair and the bottom of Mia's hair was a lot different that the new growth at the top.  Interesting.  Makes sense actually.
I was really afraid that the cut would make her hair look really thin, because it's not thickened back up all the way yet (still new growth everywhere!) but it actually makes it look a lot thicker.

AFTER:
The back is a stacked layer, and it's darling.  Some of her wave is coming back already and I think she looks healthier than ever!! 

We will love you with long hair, short hair, purple hair, spikey hair, or no hair, our sweets.  Be you, because YOU are fantastic.

No comments: