Monday, February 8, 2016

Trained

Two weeks ago we started potty training Ameliya.  The first week was hard, the following weekend was better, and now she's trained.  Yep, all trained.  She makes me feel really good about our {parenting skilz} but, in reality, in true Ameliya fashion it was all her.  When she makes up her mind to do something she succeeds and she decided that she could do this.  She's even already transferred from taking her on a time schedule to her telling us every time she has to go.  She did a two hour car trip, out all day, and home with no accidents last Friday.  
Up until the last couple of nights I'd been putting her in a diaper for bed and she was waking up wet every morning.  I decided not to stress about this because she is so little.  A friend loaned me some thick cloth training pants so one night I used them instead (just because I'm cheap) and it was apparently the last piece to Ameliya's potty training puzzle.  In the middle of the night we heard her calling, "potty potty!  potty potty!"  Daddy got up and took her (thanks, honey!) and she went right back to bed.  Since then she's gotten up once in the middle of the night to go.  Daddy and I are working on remembering to just go in and take her before we go to bed to see if that helps us not have to get awakened by her call later in the night.  I can't tell you how proud I am of this little girl!  This was worth the four days of constant laundry, the one poop accident I had to clean up off the (hardwood) floor, and the piddled on area rug (I cleaned it but I'm going to need to borrow the shampooer again!).  
I'm still a little in awe at how quickly this became our "normal."  She's become so consistent and reliable with her pottying that I don't even worry about her.  I stored away the few disposable diapers we had left, the almost full package of disposable training pants I'd purchased, and sold all the girly cloth diapers.  All the remaining cloth diapers are snap sized for Zayden and, just like that, that's it.  Everyday I see a little more of her babyhood slip away.  Today she said "pway [with] me, tissy," asking her sissy to play with her.  As it turns out Natalee can no more say no to her than the rest of us can.  Ameliya, we're proud of you.  We'd be just as proud if you were still in diapers but we're so happy for you that you're not!  Congratulations, sweetheart.  As you'd say, "TA-DA!  I DID IT!"

No comments: