Wednesday, February 17, 2016

We'll See You Again, Stryker!

After Stryker went Home to Jesus I began thinking that I needed to find a way to help our J.A.M. clubbers grieve for and pay tribute to his memory.  Grief is hard for children - shoot it's hard for me - and expressing it is important.  

When I say "I began thinking" what that really means is God began nudging me.  When God nudges you, there are two choices.  You see, He's so gracious that He almost always gives you two choices - to say "yes" or to say "no."  Saying "yes" to His nudging, in my experience, reaps less guilt over wondering if I missed something wonderful by saying no, and usually sends other blessings raining down over me.  I have also noticed, that when I'm following God's nudging, things tend to fall into place rather easily for whatever it is that He'd have me do.  I asked God what is was that I could do to help these J.A.M. children through their grief and the memorial balloon release just came to me.  Isn't that like Him?
It was beautiful.  And, as I said above, I was blessed.  Yes, it was loud.  80ish children + adults generally are loud.  But it was beautiful.  We had approximately 135 clubbers, parents, and church members there, and were additionally blessed to have Stryker's family attend.  Before we handed out balloons Pastor Billy spoke to the children on the story of David.  

David's son was sick, and while he was sick David fasted and prayed.  God did not heal David's son on earth but instead the baby died, and after he died David stopped the fasting and got dressed, resuming life a bit at a time.  Pastor Billy explained to the children that David was able to do this because he knew that his baby dying was not a forever good-bye.  It was simply a "see you later."  When we have the hope of Jesus and accept him into our hearts we know that we'll meet up again with our loved ones on the streets of heaven.  I tend to think of myself as a selfish human, and as such, I wanted to see Stryker healed and running in the mud here on earth, but as it was, God's plan for him was so much bigger.  Even if we had the option we wouldn't wish Stryker back from his most glorious residence - who would want to leave heaven!?  
Walking around, the messages that the children wrote to Stryker were so precious.  My own little girl drew a picture of two people on her balloon - Stryker holding the hand of Jesus. 
 There were tears, but sometimes there needs to be.  Tears are healing and wholesome and real.
So tonight, buddy Stryker, we don't say good-bye.  We are sad, yes, but we say "we'll see you again," sweet boy.
Until then, have a blast up there with Jesus in the sandboxes and mud puddles!

No comments: