Monday, May 2, 2022

Beelers Visit the Big Leagues {Kids' First MLB Game}

A few weeks ago my brother-in-law, Lance, messaged me and told me that his favorite baseball team (KC Royals) were hosting Xavier's fav team (NY Yankees) on a Sunday Fun Day.  Lance answered no less than one dozen questions and helped me get tickets ordered and we put the day on the calendar.  May 1st at 1:00 p.m.  

The weather in Iowa has been pretty cold, rainy, and miserable, but the forecast for game day in KC was 72 and sunny.  We got up early and on the road and made great time.  Doing new things, even if they are fun and exciting, gives me a lot of anxiety, but I just told myself that I was going to ask for help if we needed it and enjoy the day as best we could.  We arrived early, got parked and ready, and walked to the gate about 30 minutes before they opened.  A nice security guard had us use the season pass holders line because it was a ramp and we had the stroller and the other entry was stairs.  This put us at the very front of one of the check in lines.  

The weather was beautiful - a little breezy and cool at times before noon, but steadily warmed up throughout the day.  We got through security with no issues, which I'm always nervous about - not because I'm trying to hide anything but just because I'm a rule follower and am always afraid I'll mess something up that will cause us delay.  The kids were not allowed to bring in their stainless steel water bottles, but the website said every person could carry in a 1 liter bottle of sealed water, so we bought them all 1 liter aquafina bottles and slid those down into their crossbody water bottle bags and they were able to bring those along.  

We went in right as the gates opened at my sister, Lauren's, recommendation, so that we could enjoy the kids' outfield experience and walk the plaza level at our leisure.  I was glad we were there early because things did get much busier and more congested throughout the day.  
There were some extra activities outside of the outfield experience that we came to first.  We were first in line for balloon animals and face painting because of our luck getting through security.  Xavier thought he was getting a small balloon art - but he sure was a good sport when the guy plunked that big hat on his head. LOL
blue butterfly for Zayden
fish for Natalee
Mia got a unicorn and Evalynn got a horse
The balloon artists were very talented.
Evalynn was the only one who wanted paint!
We came to the fountains next and those were exciting, with a beautiful view of the field and batting practice.
Mom + Dad
We bought wristbands for all 5 kids to have unlimited access to the outfield experience fun, and then filled the next hour and a half with whatever they wanted to do and as much of it as they wanted to wait in lines for.
We were on the struggle bus to get to our seats because we're slow and didn't know about the escalators, but we made it!  Up the stairs.  All the stairs.  Natalee was a trooper and I know this extended her.  We just weren't sure how it would be to navigate with the wheelchair and she thought she could do it.  She was sore at the end of the day but said it was fine.
It seemed like the innings went really fast.  At the end of inning 3 I took the three youngest kids back around for a potty break and another hour of fun in the outfield experience.  No pictures, because Mom was flying solo with 3 young children and it was more crowded than I anticipated.  I had thought that it wouldn't be crowded because people were watching the game - turns out people drink and watch their kids and don't ever go to the game.  Now I know.
We headed back around inning 6 to watch the end of the ball game. 
The final score was 6-4 in favor of the Yankees.  Xavier was very happy.
After the game we waited in line to do the Fun Run where the kids got to run the bases.  Now they can say they've been on the Kauffman field!
It was a beautiful day, perfect for being outside, and a lot of fun!
These days are hard, I'll be honest.  It's almost like living in a split universe where half of you is carrying on with life and raising kids and finding joy and the other half is grieving for and with my family over the loss of Scarlette.  I think it will feel this way for quite some time.

No comments: