Friday, May 20, 2022

Homeschool Track and Field Day

The kids had the opportunity to participate in track and field day on Thursday the 19th.  I was still recovering from my 24 hour stomach bug following our Botanical Gardens field trip so Mike had to do super dad duty on this day and handle it all alone.  I was recovered enough to keep Evalynn at home for him so he didn't have to deal with her in the 90 degree heat.  (By recovered I do mean TV & snacks....not my finest mothering day). 

Mike and the kids started their day at hippotherapy, then he treated them to Hardee's before track and field day started.
Mike led Mia's group, so was able to get more "footage" of her, but with the help of him and other friends I got to see a lot of the kids' day.  I sure did hate to miss this, but my recliner is sure where I belonged.

Zayden said he had a blast and told me all about his races when he got home.

Natalee chose to do the events in their entirety.  Mike sent the video of Natalee's friends helping her finish the 400 meter race for her age division, and I was so touched.  I posted this on Facebook the night of track and field:
The kids had track and field day today.
These kind of days are always a mixed bag of emotions for moms like me.  I have children, one in particular, who thrives on healthy, fun competition.
And, I have a child with physical differences.
I talked a lot with Natalee about track and field before she signed up.  Explained that she could just hang out and not compete or not do all the events.  The organizer was willing to make any accommodations needed to help her be successful.  In the end she (stubbornly?) chose to just do all the events and "have fun."
This is her finish of the 400 meter.  I'm sure you can't imagine what it's like to be dead last in everything, in pain, punishing your body, knowing the crowd is waiting on you.  But I hope someday you get to experience what it is to have girls like this come and lift you up to cross the finish line (literally or figuratively).  Thank you to these sweet sweet girls.  Thank you to the parents who raised these kind of girls.  We love you.

Sweet Ameliya had as much fun turning cartwheels in her down time as she did at her events, I think.

And Xavier....well these are the kinds of days Xavier loves.  Days where he can compete at his 100% without Mom saying "give them [other siblings] a break."  He came home glowing with lots of first and second place ribbons.
It was a great day and Mike was very happy to have gotten to go along to watch the kids and help.  I'm so thankful our children get these kinds of opportunities.  We feel like the benefits far outweigh the cons when it comes to the decision to homeschool for our family, but these little traditions and fun "extras" have a way of lighting a special place in my heart.

No comments: