Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Look at What I Got to Do Tonight!

Wow! What a night. I had a doctor's appointment...pretty uneventful except he told me to make sure my bags are packed and that my baby "isn't a small one, huh?" (okay, so maybe not so uneventful...more about that later).
After that, we went a shopping. I had a mission tonight--I had $150 cold hard cash to spend on kids' hats, gloves, and coats. Our church is doing a drive and our men's group gave us $100...then I got to thinking about my Lollipop Lion's weekly offering and decided that buying these things & showing them to the kids would be a great way to teach them about giving & show them what their offering could do in Jesus' name. I did not realize how much those little darlins' have been bringing in, but when I got to counting it they had $50 easy! Good for them!
So....I had $150 to spend on coats, hats, and gloves. Altogether, we ended up with 4 coats, 2 car seat covers (thought maybe that would be handier than a coat for an infant), 31 sets of gloves/hats, and 8 infant stocking hats! It was so much fun...for one, spending money that wasn't mine was pretty exciting but also, for every little hat/glove set I picked out I pictured a youngster with red little ears and ice cold fingers going into the clothes nook and coming out toasty warm! God's blessings...I'm so happy to be a little part of them! Just as an FYI...if anyone has any gently used coats that they'd be willing to give away to a cold youngster, feel free to drop them by: our house, the church, or the clothes nook. We'd be happy to find a recipient for your donation!

4 comments:

Andrea Frederick said...

How fun! I think about those kids out at recess everyday. Brrr... Now if only their parents will accept the gift!

Bree Shaw said...

and if only the parents that accept the gift actually make their kids wear them! i think i might have a coat in the garage. i will have to check and see and get back to ya:) braxton has already asked me about adopting a child for xmas. i remember doing that as a kid and am very excited to do it with my kids!

Corin said...

Good call on the car seat covers those things are so handy. Our babysitter was nice enough to give us one she wasn't using last year and it was a life saver.

Shonya said...

what a great thing to do--and how fun to be the one shopping with everyone else's money! :)