Sunday, September 18, 2016

Front Porch Makeover

Mike and I dug in and redid our porch these last couple of weeks.  It's a commitment to redo the main entrance to your home (especially when your hubby is gone 13-14 hours a day) but we finished it and I'm so glad!
Previously our porch floor was a drab old shade of what I call "porch gray."  The steps were pre-treated lumber that we'd never actually painted, stained, or treated further (Mike rebuilt them a few years back).  The floor paint had scraped up, been drawn on with chalk by the children, and it just all looked....tired.  
It's finished (except I just asked Mike if he painted the sides of the steps and he said, oops...another day) and I love the look!
 The door jam was drying in these pictures so the screen is propped open.

Next up - I'd like to work on the landscaping (I suck at this but I've got to do something) and I'm going to paint the front door (not the screen, the big door).  I'm hoping to do a fun color on the front door if I can be brave.  Being brave is hard. 
 We even repainted the white rails, gate, door frame, etc. and made it all look pretty and clean.
 I'm SO glad I painted the fronts of the steps white.  Such a commitment but I love the look!
We power washed, sanded, cleaned, and compounded the floor first.  Then re-sanded and did two coats of Behr Deck Over in slate (I wanted it to compliment the roof).  I mainly brushed on the first coat and then Mike rolled on the second coat.  The Deck Over is some serious thickness - like painting with pudding!  At first I cried because I thought I hated it - as it dried it kind of grew on me. 
I really want a porch swing.  In the meantime, we've set the square patio table on the porch and might do some school work out there while the weather is this beautiful.  Before the remodel, the porch was overflowing with scooters, bikes, and bubbles, and life.  While I love my babies, I'm hoping to keep their toys to a minimum and let the porch be a nice welcoming entrance.  We did put Mia's little sensory table back up there so she can play while we sit and do school but I'm hoping my plan works.  Good luck to me, right!?

Opinions on easy landscaping and front door colors are welcome!

Bonus pictures...we spent some serious time in Home Depot the last couple weeks getting supplies.
Zayden was tired and leaning on sissy...and then she pushed him off.  Meany.  One of the nice paint guys made paper airplanes for the kids while our paint was mixing.

No comments: