Saturday, March 22, 2014

Once a Teacher... {nerd alert...all about curriculum for 2014-15}

...always a teacher.

I'm so grateful to be at home teaching my two little scholars.  There is nothing quite like being able to pour myself into my own children.  And knowing that when baby is born I won't be sending him/her off to daycare is simply the greatest feeling in the world. 

I gotta tell ya though...once a classroom teacher, always a classroom teacher.  I love the other homeschool moms who are able to take a less structured, more relaxed view of homeschooling their children, and while I've tried I realize I just am.not.one.of.them.  Ha!  I'm used to an organized, scheduled classroom environment and that's how our home is run.  To relax is to have a movie night that wasn't planned 2-3 nights in advance.  Or to push math to a different time and go outside because it's 60 degrees and we've had winter for FIVE MONTHS NOW.  Lame, I know.  We have our own kind of fun but if you ever meet my slightly uptight and schedule loving daughter, please know it's truly not ALL her fault. ;)

This time of the year, as we finish up our studies, I find myself already looking giddily towards the coming fall and purusing curriculum catalogs and websites. (I used to do this as a public school teacher, too!)  After a lot of reading and talking with Mike, we settled on our curriculum choices for the 2014-15 year.  This year we are introducing Social Studies/History and Science (very introductory but we're still excited!) into the mix of things and we are all (children included) psyched!  For any of you who care (maybe surprisingly few of you!) and for my records later, here is what we've chosen.  We are keeping the children separate for their Reading/Writing/Phonics and Math instruction and grouping them together for History, Science, and Bible (and other fun stuff!).  We specifically chose curriculums where grouping them for these areas was not only possible but encouraged.  Because of their closeness in age, we realize that they will need some individual instruction, but it only makes sense to combine them when we can.  I already told you about the Year 0 Ambleside books we've included for the coming school year.  In addition to those read alouds that we'll snuggle up with here is what is on the docket:

Natalee (grade K/1...I'm not sure Natalee will ever be a single "grade" in homeschool...some areas she excels in and moves through quickly and some aren't as easy - thus I'm labeling her grade K/1 for this coming year)

Continuing Sing, Spell, Read and Write Level K:  This came so late in the year b/c of a backorder that we'll just continue working through it.  We purchased the Level K/1 kit so we can move on when she's ready.  She's almost finished the first book and I can say with certainty that she's mastered the letter sounds.  Becoming fluent with the songs so that those sounds some quickly and automatically to her is up next and then we'll move to blending and segmenting words.

 
We are finishing up her Primer and I'm SO impressed and excited about what she's learned!!  There were things in the Primer I thought she'd NEVER get and she did.  This is an excellent curriculum for our family!

Xavier (formal preschool - last year before Kindergarten...this kid has it going on up top but I'm not willing to push him as far as maturity and sitting to make him do kindergarten this year.  He enjoys school in short spurts and I think the preschool material I chose for him will suit just right!  He still needs lots of unstructured, learning through play time!)

http://www.amazon.com/Know-My-Alphabet-Grades-Preschool/dp/1609963431/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395515094&sr=8-1&keywords=I+know+my+alphabet
This book gives several pages of activities to do with each letter of the alphabet.  It likely won't take us quite all year but I'm planning to pace him at a letter a week so we can have mastery of the sound and a good start on forming each letter.  I can supplement in other activities during the week, also!

http://www.amazon.com/Mathematical-Reasoning-Beginning-Brambaugh-Brumbaugh/dp/0894558862/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395515122&sr=8-1&keywords=mathematical+reasoning
There were two levels of this book in the PK section and after some deliberation I chose the first level.  Pencil/paper tasks aren't Xavier's top skills so I'm thinking if the book is a bit easy maybe it will help encourage the pencil/paper things we need to work on.  He *can* write, quite nicely, if only he wants to.  I'd rather take time to teach him to find it a joy than to make it a forced effort.  Boys!

Combined Classes

I've done a lot of deliberating over whether this (and the science I chose) were too hard for kiddos our age.  After talking with Mike and chatting with some moms on a couple of Facebook groups, Mike and I decided we liked that both curricula run on a 4 year cycle.  There are 4 volumes and then in 4 years we can repeat at a more advanced stage of learning.  This curriculum (science also) are designed to be learned as a family...the books have activities for "early learners, middle aged learners, and advanced learners...so as the children grow it stays age appropriate.  We decided to go ahead and try it.  It can always go on the shelf for another year if we find it too much for us.  However, I have to say, I'm super impressed with the little sponges God gave me so even if they just soak up the very very basics, we'll still see it as a win!  We've also considered doing this first year over a two year span...after I get the curriculum in my hands I'll be better able to decide what our plan of action should be.  Overall after looking at other programs that were designed for younger ages I found them to be quite lacking and a bit "twaddle-full"...just not deep, quality learning. 


Answers in Genesis puts out a four year program called God's Design for Science so each year for 4 years we'll purchase a new curricula and then we'll repeat.  It's amazing to me to think that by the time we're ready to repeat our Baby #3 will about be ready to join big brother and sister!

For both Science and History Mike and I talked a lot and decided it was important to us to choose curricula that intertwined with the Bible so the children would understand the importance of Him in all we are learning.  Both of the above curricula are Bible based.  It is, after all, one of the very reasons we are choosing to educate the children at home.

A blogger, friend, and fellow homeschooling mom recommended this program to me last year and we are OVER THE MOON for it.  I can't even begin to tell you the things my children (and I!) have learned and the discussions we've had at the supper table.  We are keeping both kids in the Beginner Pages this fall and are ready to start Unit 3.  I can't tell you what a joy it is to me to hear my children say "Is it Bible lesson time, Mommy?" and then to hear them recall what they've learned to their daddy later!  We already have the timeline and CD's and use them daily. 

Other Fun Stuff:

I purchased the Speedy Spanish Primer & CD last year for the children and we were not successful in using it.  We may retry it this fall and see where we get.  Mike and I chose Spanish as a foreign language because the children are lucky enough to have a bilingual uncle and we can perhaps forsee some bilingual cousins in their future...we think it'd be fun if they had at least a few basics in their pocket!

Art Smarts...I'm not too artsy but my little people love to doodle and draw.  For fun, we are going to get them each inexpensive sketchbooks and dabble through these books together (mom too!).  My hope and intent is that they'll have a few more tools in their minds to really be able to create what they want on paper.  Not that I don't love depictions of me looking like a giant rectangular robot. ;)

https://b1306.myubam.com/p/1175/i-can-draw-animals

https://b1306.myubam.com/p/110/i-can-draw-people

http://www.amazon.com/Emberleys-Complete-Funprint-Drawing-Book/dp/0316174483/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395517221&sr=8-1&keywords=ed+emberley+print
I really only intended to do the first 2 Usborne ones but this funprint book was on sale when I ordered through Amazon the other day and I think it looks like some super fun stuff to do together.  We might not create masterpieces but we'll have a great time!!

Of course, art is more than drawing and there will be plenty of painting, cutting, gluing and mess making through the year, I'm sure!
I drew impromptu rainbows on cardboard yesterday for the children as a fun activity on the last official day of daycare and they loved getting out the paints!  I wish things like this came easier to my mind.  Mess making is not usually in the forefront of my brain - ha!
 Miss Perfect made her's ROYGBV, of course, but did ask for an extra arch to add pink.

Mr. Ornery chose to make a "silly rainbow" and not do ROYGBV.  I do take note that he kept his warm and cool colors grouped and wonder if that was by accident.

It's exciting to tweak and add/take away to this all as the year progresses.

In addition to ALL this Mike and I have toyed with allowing the children to choose one outside activity to participate in.  Natalee has tossed around violin lessons as a possibility...Xavier hasn't said much.  We may wait another year until we are actually settled in our new town and get plugged into a homeschool coop before committing to anything.  We'll see.

Alright - that was one big nerdy mom post but I won't apologize.  These are the things that EXCITE us and, if you made it through the WHOLE post, then next year when I blog about these curricula choices and activities we are doing you'll know what's happening.  Right? ;)

1 comment:

Shonya said...

Hee, hee, HOW FUN! I love it! We have used both of those curricula (history and science) and enjoyed them, although I have to admit I much prefer Jeannie Fulbright's science.

I have always kept Briana and Destry together for history and science and I am SO GLAD! We have wonderful memories of learning these subjects together, going on field trips, doing special projects. I am doing it again with Easton and Kiana and I think you'll be glad you did it as time goes on. When they get older and start discussing what they are learning, it's fun to be learning the same things and talk about them at the supper table.

This fun post makes me miss blogging about homeschooling, but I just couldn't keep up with it. Too busy homeschooling! :) These posts take a surprisingly long time to formulate, so I have retreated to mostly a "book blog." I love reading about your days though!