Monday, August 19, 2024

The First Day of School {Self Portraits + How It Went!} 2024

B.L.I.S.S. Academy kicked off the 2024-25 school year on Monday, August 19th this year.  We soft started the week before by completing a week of Sonlight Core for each group, but Monday was the official "take the pics, do the self portraits, get out all the subjects" day.


The kindergartener overslept....she's coming off a cold and had stayed up a little late at small groups Sunday night.  #homeschoolprivilege (wink)
She was still up in time for Donuts from Daddy for our first day.
There were a few supplies to ooh and aah over....really we didn't need much so a fresh notebook, pencils, and folder in everyone's school color (or as best I could find) and a new set of water colors was enough...the whistle lollis were very fun for the younger 3 at recess but they were not dye free as I had thought.  The pencil pals were winners and added a sweet touch to the gifts.

After we cleaned up breakfast and put on our first day faces we headed out for pictures.  Mom on crutches meant we couldn't take a walk down to the prettier bricks and flowers on campus so we made do in the yard.

After pictures we went back inside and everyone worked on their traditional first day self portrait.  These are more for me than them, probably, but they are sweet to indulge me.
I do so love these self portraits and they hang in their frames in the dining room and give me such joy.
Evalynn did a guided self-portrait.  I drew on my own paper beside her and she replicated it on her paper.  She added the rainbow, groundline, skyline, and flowers without any guidance.

I even sat by Evie and painted.  I don't think the nose or the lips are even close but I do like the reflections in the sunglasses.

Zayden went with a half face portrait this year.
Love his color choices and he did so good on his hairline.

Natalee worked completely independently this year.  I love the abstract watercolor background, the shiny glasses, and that she remembered to add her beauty mark on her chin.  She did a great job.

Xavier painted a baseball player.  He had me print a field for a background.  I love the backwards hat, the attention to the uniform detail, and the commitment to the overall theme.

Ameliya drew off an idea from last year's self-portraits but made it very individual.  I love the different versions of the dividing lines, and the jewelry that she included.  She did a great job balancing hot and cold colors to make a bright and cheery portrait!

Not having two easy to use legs means that I don't have very many pictures of us actually working on our first day of school.  But work we did.  We did Sonlight, sciences, and maths.  We didn't get every subject out on day 1 and that's okay.  The weather was beautiful and the children got outside and enjoyed it and that is important, too.  We trouble shooted first day computer troubles, missing curriculum pieces and tried to give a lot of grace to ourselves and one another.

Overall it was a very successful day!!
Mia brought me this book and asked if I could make her hair look like the main character's.  Challenge. Accepted. (except she wouldn't let me cut bangs!)  
1980s-90s flashback

The school hutch is ready for the year, too!  I never know what decor goes between the Americana and Fall so we're still stuck in 4th of July.

And mommy didn't cry about the baby going to kindergarten until after everyone was in bed....winning.

Sweet gifts from my favorite "superintendent."  The bracelet came with a card to remind me to pray over things before I stress over them.  Bless him.
And honest to goodness this cup does make me smile everyday.  One cold coffee latte is all I drink a day and I savor it until after lunch sometimes so my coffee cup does a lot of teaching with me.  

No comments: