Sunday, August 4, 2024

Quick Trip North + Horse Show {July 30-Aug 3}

A few weeks ago my mom said she was going to run to North Dakota to be there when her mom moved from skilled care to an assisted living apartment.  I haven't seen my grandma in way too long and wanted to go, so Mike said he'd hold down the fort and encouraged me to commit.  What we didn't know was that the week before we were to leave I'd have a big fall and badly sprain my ankle.  At the time we thought I'd chipped a bone, also. This made me a less than helpful travel companion.  Dad decided to go along so Mom would have a driving helper and someone else who could actually carry things, and I tagged along as a liability and a third wheel.  

We did the drive there and back in one day and stayed with uncle Brad and Renae.  It really was so good to see Grandma and the family.  In the five short days we were there I got to see 3 aunts and uncles and 4 of my cousins (and their families) in addition to Grandma.  I wish I'd taken more pictures.

We helped Grandma get settled into her new apartment and moved most of her things from her condo.  When I say "we" I mean the people who could actually walk.  I packed and unpacked a lot of knick-knacks and stuff I could do standing still.  

The drive was long and being away from my people is hard, but I am very grateful I got to go.

Grandpa Ray's parents...
Grandma Mary's parents...
Grandpa Ray and Grandma Mary

What a treasure.  Grandma and I spent an afternoon talking about her time as a mother of many.
Her new apartment is very nice and she was so happy to get out of the Baptist home.  
A game of who's holding whom up?
Better than 1 treasure....2! 

Mike, with the help of our village, held the fort down just fine in Iowa.  The kids had swim, Natalee had a horse show, and he worked.  As it turns out I'm not much help in a boot when I can't drive so perhaps it wasn't that different.
Phil and Sara helped out for part of a day.  They brought souvenirs from their recent trip to Texas!

Natalee's horse show...
They had beautiful weather all week while I was gone and it was hot and humid in North Dakota!

No comments: