Sunday, November 14, 2021

The Second Week of November {Locked up Keys, Z's Birthday, New Floors!!, Days in Missouri}

The second week of November began with a beautiful Sunday of worship.  My heart is full when my pew is full of my favorite people.

Our little girls matched for church so I snapped a couple of pictures of them.
Mike and I also took Evalynn's two year pictures and I love them all so much that I haven't gotten any printed yet.  Impossible choices.  Too much cuteness.

Monday (Nov 8th) morning brought co-op.  Mercy was the weather just gorgeous.  I was entranced by the beautiful fall trees as we drove over to the church to meet our new friends, and thanked God that I had planned an outdoor lesson.  We sang worship songs as we drove and were all in really high spirits, anticipating being back at co-op.
I taught about Jackson Pollock and used the back of the bus as a mobile classroom.  I thinned out different colors of paints and the children got to splatter, throw, drizzle, blotch and fling paint to their heart's desire.  I used washable paints, but if doing this lesson again I would cover the concrete with a tarp to work on.  Even with washable, I ended up scrubbing pretty hard to get the dark colored paint up so we didn't leave stains behind at the church.
Ameliya wanted a blue canvas before beginning her Pollock style picture.
I sent the children home with splotchy feet, stained hands, and hopefully full little hearts.  It was a great session.
During the course of clean up I got warm and took off my jacket and threw it in the back of the bus.  When I finally got all cleaned up and loaded my supplies back up, I closed the back of the bus....and then realized (when I went to grab my purse to go inside) that the bus keys were in my jacket pocket.  Apparently I hadn't unlocked the doors or had relocked them after we unloaded.  Alas, the keys were locked in the bus.  Sigh.  I called Mike.  We never had gotten around to getting another key made when the bus only came with one.  He began working with our insurance (using our roadside assistance benefits), and they sent someone.  He ended up only have a pillow and rod and was unable to get the door open with those tools (transits are hard to get into because of the lip around their doors - now I know).  He gave me the name of an actual locksmith who came to pick the lock.  He also cut and programmed me a new key on the spot (shoutout to Hawkeye Lock & Security).
It was a hassle, but I really never got upset.  Discouraged when the first guy couldn't get the door open, but not too frazzled even.  The Lord still does a mighty work in me, even now.  
Evalynn was having a hard time in the nursery so that added a bit to my chaos, but she just needed some mama reassurance and then was able to stay a bit as I ran back and forth dealing with the keys.  
Alas, I had also locked our lunches in the bus, but we were in a big enough town that they had a Casey's delivery, so I had pizzas brought over (Mike sent me his debit card # b/c mine was in the bus - ha) and the children did not go hungry.
The trees when we got home....still so thankful for those weeks of beauty we got from them.


Monday night we had to finish moving furniture, because the flooring guys were coming to begin tearing out the carpets and laying new hard surface floors throughout the main level of the house.
Tuesday morning was Zayden Sam's 6th birthday!
After spending the day together, the children and I headed to Missouri to be out of the way and dust of the flooring guys.
Xavier (and Ev) took a lesson from Papa in oatmeal pie making.
"I got messy on my hands."
My sleeping buddy.
Wednesday Zayden needed a post birthday nap.  Too much partying.
We ran into town Wednesday evening to see Grammy and Papa George and Zayden got a birthday present from them.  They were serving supper at the church's children's programming so we didn't linger - making supper for large groups is a big task.
Wednesday night snuggles.  Papa never skips pages when he reads stories so he's always a top choice for bedtime books.
My snuggle buddy is pushing her luck here.
My anxiety Wednesday night was a bit high when Mike sent me these pictures and this was all the flooring guys had completed (the subfloors had to be raised everywhere but the kitchen).  We had been told they would for sure need to work Tu-Th and then 'maybe' the following Monday and Tuesday.  I was too optimistic.  Clearing our calendar for the three days was difficult enough, with all the therapy appointments and activities we have, so I was having a lot of trepidation about what the following week was going to look like, not to mention the weekend and what we would be coming back to.
I pushed really hard for my heart to stay grateful.  Really. Hard.
Thursday morning we did a bit of school.
Evalynn did not think much of being at Grandma and Papa's without anyone there to dote after her.
We drove into town to attend the town's Veteran's Day ceremony on the square.
Thursday afternoon we drove home to be there before dark.  This is the last picture I took of Friday or Saturday as the house and my brain were in shambles.  The floor guys did complete the hall, kitchen, and dining room, and I worked to be so grateful that we had them operational and that the floors were lovely.  There was a foot and a half gap of subfloor showing between the dining room and old living room floor, and it was dusty everywhere.  We just....well, we just did our best through the weekend.  Sometimes that's all we can do, yeah?

No comments: