Sunday, June 7, 2020

Week in the Life {LOTS of Water Play!}

Sunday, May 31st
The last day of May!  In a way, May zoomed by, and in other moments it crawled.
We ended the month with church at home.
Then my kids cleaned out the van.  Xavier taught Zayden to shop vac and came in to get my phone to take a picture of him.  Proud big brother!
That rug doesn't actually go in the van but it was good vacuuming practice.
The rest of the day was playing and being and loving each other.

Monday, June 1st
Hello, June.  You look so like many other months recently.
Mia got out into the sunshine and finished her nature science book.  Zayden went out to join her and after they finished their project the enjoyed playing.
Our kids draw most everyday.  Zayden drew this one for mom.  A race car!
Zayden taught Ev to drive cars.
Evie is starting to realize when Daddy is coming and likes to watch for him out the window.  Some of his co-workers drive by to see if the little dolly is in the window.

Tuesday, June 2nd
Tuesday, the kids and I got our school done in the morning and got everything ready so that we could go down to Lancaster with Daddy to run several errands.  We started at the yummy food truck, then ran to the bank.  We went to Grandma Betty's to square up a couple of things, although we weren't too much help, and then stopped at the Snider's house to pick up a quick set pool that Chelsie was able to snag for us at her Wal-Mart.  Chelsie treated us to watermelon and the kids got to see their friends for a few minutes (me too!).  After all our errands, we ran out to Grandma Num and Papa Curtis's and had such a nice visit.

Wednesday, June 3rd
School took over our morning, as per normal.
For lunch, I thought it would be a treat for the kids to get to pick up the sack lunch through a "kids eat" lunch program at the park around the corner and eat on campus or somewhere isolated but different.  As it turns out it wasn't a "sack lunch" as in one meal....it was a multitude of food - supposedly lunch and breakfast for a week.  So....that was sweet and a little overwhelming and made me feel slightly guilty, because we were just doing it for fun, not because we needed a week's worth of groceries.  The kids thought it was delightful because they got a number of pre-packaged treats that mom doesn't usually buy - and it was so just so precious, don't misunderstand me.  They are hoping to get to do it again and mom said, "we'll see."  At any rate, here they are with their chocolate milk cartons....milk in a carton is a huge privilege to homeschooled kids! LOL.
I was brave and took on the task of setting up the pool on my own.  It really wasn't that hard, especially since we have such great concrete out back.  The water was cold, and little Zayden was shivering by the time I made him get out.
My little lifeguard buddy.
Wednesday evening I went to my first peace rally.  Here's what I wrote on Facebook about it.
Tonight I did something new for me. Honestly, I was a little uncomfortable. New things often are.
I attended a peaceful protest and prayer rally on our town square to bring attention to the racism and white privilege that still exists today.
You see, I used to think as long as I was kind to everyone then I was doing my part. But I'm learning that's not enough. I've spent the last 6 months diving headfirst into American history lessons from the Civil War forward with my oldest children.
Slavery. Holocaust. Civil Rights movement.
If those history lessons don't set your belly on fire, read them again. I beg you.
Jesus commanded we stand in the gap for the least of these. Not least because they are less. Least because we've allowed it to be so. It's not ok with me that my friends with babies of different skin color will one day fear for their children to take walks, only because their babies grew up into men.
We can do better. We HAVE to do better.
I beg you, but better still Jesus called you.

Friends, please know, I see you. I hear you. I'm listening. I'm learning.

I ended Wednesday night with Scrabble with Natalee.

Thursday, June 4th
The kids zipped and zoomed through their school because the pool was waiting.  The water was still a little chilly, but better than day 1.
My lifeguard buddy and I set up a sun shade tent to hang out during swim time.
Suppertime!

Friday, June 5th
Poor Xavier is sure missing baseball this summer.
Little brother is always close by.
The girls wrote some letters after school.
And, then, SWIM!  Mia disobeyed during outside play time and went near the pool so she had to sit out and wait for 5 minutes before getting in.
Daddy was home by pool time, and I was working on fleshing out a bird unit, so he played lifeguard.  I set up Ev's splash mat and she wasn't a bit scared, even though the water was chilly!
After everyone dried off and we fed them, Mike decided to get his lawn work done so the weekend would be clear.  Not that we had plans, but still.  We wanted to do s'mores for fun, so I built the fire while he mowed and the kids said it was even bigger than Daddy's fires!
 
What Evie did during s'more making.  I bathed her, fed her, and went ahead and put her in bed...it's more fun for everyone, her included, if she's not up past bedtime pretending to have fun.
Mia doesn't like marshmallows, but she likes chocolate and graham crackers.
After we got the kids into bed late, I made myself sit down and finish my bird unit.  It felt so good to complete!

Saturday, June 6th
The end of another week!
How did we pass the day?  The kids had their cartoons while I slept in a little bit, and then brunch for everyone.
The breeze was beautiful outside.  Mike hung a baby swing in the big tree for Evie so she'd be shaded while she swings.  She's having trouble reacting to sunscreen so we're trying to do a better job of just keeping her in the shade.
I got out the wagon while I was doing a little work and tried to get Evie to understand staying seated!
Big brother is taking her to the backyard to hang a bird feeder.
The "seated" lessons were a little rough!
The pool water was much warmer, so we let Ev get in while the kids were taking a break.  Since we didn't have any sunscreen that worked for her, she had to wear a long sleeve PJ shirt in the water.  She enjoyed it, a ton, though!
We stayed outside most of the day, and ate leftovers for supper because mommy didn't cook!  The kids were so tired they were all fed, showered, and asleep by 8.  Even though the pool isn't deep, all the water play wears little bodies out!

One week of school left!

No comments: