Friday, April 24, 2020

Biking Beelers + MIA'S BIG MOMENT!

We've been taking a whole lot of bike rides these days.  Phil and Sara brought me up a bike that they'd acquired and shockingly enough (to me) I was still able to ride.  When I say it's been years...well that's an understatement.  A few years back I tried to get on Mike's bike and ride and it went horribly so I had a bit convinced myself that I was just too far gone to be strong enough again.  Apparently his bike was poorly sized for my body.  We've rode every night but one, I think, since they brought the bike up Sunday.  That's not new for my crew, as Mike usually takes them out for a ride, but it is new for me.  I am not strong.  I am not fast.  I am not skilled.  But I am getting stronger.  I am getting more comfortable.  And my rear isn't as sore as it was after day 1.  I rode up a small hill and didn't die.  Success!

Enough about me, for the moment, though....
Last night when we were riding, I told Mia she was barely using her training wheels.
Today, when we went out to play, she asked if she could have Xavier take the training wheels off.  I pulled her to me and told her, yes, she could, but she needed to understand that she had to put her mind to it and remember that it might not be easy right away but that doesn't mean she can't do it.  By the time I got the sweater on the baby and stepped out, Xavier had the training wheels off (thanks big brother!) and Mia had taken off down the sidewalk like a lightning bolt.  Xavier was standing there and he said, "she didn't even let me help her get started!" 
Mia, we are SO proud of you!  Look at what you can accomplish when you set your mind!
She has not crashed once, but she said "I wear my helmet just in case."  Good plan, sweets.

As a congratulations on her accomplishment, we told her she could have a 1 on 1 ride with daddy or mommy.  She chose us both.  Ha.  But we had to take her one at a time so the other parent could stay home with the other kids.  
When she and I got back, I felt particularly exhausted, and then when Mike returned from his ride with her he was wiped, too, and said, "my goodness, she's fast."  She really is.  A speed demon.

We're thankful for this family activity to give us something to do while we're isolated and we've LOVED the beautiful temps that we were given this week.
The lass in her man-pulled chariot.
We're thankful for the campus with plenty of sidewalks for us to play on.  We are next to the bike trail head, but mom's not quite so strong enough for too many hills yet.
I love the memories they are making on their bikes.

No comments: