Sunday, June 2, 2019

DAFOs - A New CP Adventure!

We picked up Natalee's DAFOs on Wednesday and got our final instructions from our orthotist, Mr. Ron.  She was very excited to get them and wear them and I think she's adjusting really well.
We're still learning the ins and outs of them and how tight to fasten them, but I think we're getting there.  These are just to wear at night, to stretch her ankles, as she lost some range of motion from her Jan appt to her May appt.  To give you an idea of their job....tonight when you lay down pay attention to how your feet naturally fall.  My feet (and most people's) naturally relax and point forwards.  These braces are keeping hers flexed to around a 90 degree ankle.  Not to feel sorry for her, because we don't need pity, but just think about how wearying it would be to have your ankles flexed all night - I respect her a great deal that she hasn't complained.
Dad and I decided that on either Saturday or Sunday night (one night a week) she can have a braceless night and take a break.  We didn't ask permission, and maybe we'll have to change this, but for now, this is the plan.

I also got a STEAL on a weighted blanket (a fluke!) and it came Thursday.  I think it's added a bit of peace to her otherwise kind of restless sleep routine.
We're proud of you, Natalee.  Keep facing hard things head on!

No comments: