Sunday, January 29, 2017

Belt Test {White Intermediate Belt}

Xavier had his karate belt test this Saturday.  He tested with 2 other classmates, one who was also testing for an intermediate belt, and the other who was testing for an advanced white belt.  
I had chatted with his Sensei about what to expect from this test and she was certain that if Xavier could focus his eyes and mind he could pass.  We talked a lot at home about this and about how when his eyes and mind aren't focused his kicks and punches are completely off.  He also practiced hard at home!
I have to say, I was so proud of him.  Twila sat in front and gave an instruction, sometimes and explanation, and Xavier knew what she was talking about and what to do automatically.  I was nervous that he'd watch the other students to know what to do but he actually ended up slightly in front of the other two for a majority of the test and was able to performed very well on his own, focusing his attention completely on his teacher. 
  
I could tell how hard he was working to focus and do his best.  Only once did I ever see his eyes stray to me as I was taking pictures, but without me shaking my head he collected himself and turned right back for instruction. 
Can I also just say I think he's completely adorable in his karategi?  I know he's being all tough, but shoot, he's cute.
When it came time for the bag work portion of the test, Twila gave the boys boxing gloves.  The gloves were part of what they earned upon successfully passing their test and earning their belt.  
After the test was over Xavier came and had Mike help him take his gloves off and he turned to me and said "I have to give them back.  I only earn them if I pass."  Sweet boy.  So, even though knowing that Twila wouldn't have ever "dangled" them in front of him if he hadn't passed, we told him to give them back, because he was right, he had not been told that he'd earned them yet.  
Alas, however, he had passed.  He was so excited!
He also got to break a board.  This wasn't a requirement to pass his test, but it was awesome
 
Daddy is not so secretly jealous that Xavier gets to do these lessons.  Mike would love to work toward a black belt. Time...such a scarce thing for my hard working handsome hubby.
Twila does a wonderful job of making Xavier's karate instruction be meaningful as a family.  Daddy got to hold his board to break and I got to tighten his new belt.  

Xavier, we're so proud of you.
Sensei Twila, thank you so much for the devotion you've poured into our son and family.  We're thankful for you.

{And we celebrated with bad fast food...because, kids!}

No comments: