Monday, August 14, 2023

The First Day of School {How Did It Go!?}

I always try to set a special first day of school table for the kids to wake up to on our big first morning.  I definitely didn't top last year's scavenger hunt, but the little gifts were heartfelt and I kept my vow to not buy supplies we didn't need or give into over the top consumerism.  This year I went with a new tea mug for everyone.  Warm tea has been a big thing around here lately and while our 18 year old plain white mugs are serviceable I thought the kids might like something cheery and fun.
I want to try to do at least one nature walk a month, so everyone had a fresh sketchbook for nature journaling at their spots, too.  
I was able to be up early, get myself ready, put together a monkey bread, and get my Bible study read (Proverbs 1 and 3 are great for first day of school mom inspiration) before my crew was up and that felt good.  Daddy grabbed our back to school breakfast pizza and we were all seated and ready to eat by 7:30.  Some eyes were sleepy and yawns were big, but I really love starting the first day by having breakfast with Mike.
The chatter was excited and the moods were light during breakfast.

We sent Daddy off to work, tidied breakfast, then headed out to take our first day pictures.  
My sweet kiddos - I know Mia spearheaded this and got Zayden on board, then had everyone else sign it.  So humbling to be so loved by my crew.
We took those new nature journals along for a very very low pressure opportunity to find some beauty in the day the Lord gave us and do our first sketch.  As it turned out, my pupils were eager to do their first nature sketch and we chose to stay right where we were on campus and sketch from the landscaping.  Another time we'll do a hike or walk the trail, but this was great for the first day.
It was really a beautiful morning - low 70s, cool breeze, overcast...definite fall vibes.
Evalynn kept herself busy "climbing the mountain" while the big kids finished sketching.
Ameliya and Zayden
Natalee and Xavier
Mommy and Evie
Back at home the kids decorated the covers of their nature journals.
Then it was time for what has possibly become the sweetest first day tradition - the self portrait.  This year I printed a few tutorials and let the kids choose.

Everyone worked so hard on their portraits.  For parts of Evie's I drew two dots and she drew the line between them or I drew on my own paper and she followed along, and I helped with the hair line, but she did most of it on her own!
Xavier and Zayden chose the Lego self portrait.  Evie did a full body portrait, and Mia and Natalee chose the descriptive/words of affirmation portrait.
Zayden combined the Lego tutorial with the "things I love/affirmation" tutorial background.
Next was morning time basket, then Evalynn and I jumped into preschool.  I'm going to try to work with her first and fill her little cup up, then maybe she'll be more content to play while I work with the older children.
I am trying a few new things to strengthen Ev's hands and encourage her to cross midline in her coloring/writing.  She often switches hands instead of crossing midline to complete a picture.  Golf pencils, regular crayons instead of fat ones, etc...
We are using the Rod & Staff preschool workbooks, singing lots of phonics songs, using some of the Usborne Little Children's Nature Activity books for "science" (oh was she proud to have science!), and reading tons of good books.  Today we started A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood book of poetry by Mr. Rogers.  On a whim, I looked up the old Mr. Rogers TV show and found free episodes on Prime.  I decided that one episode a day or every other day would be fun for Evie and she enjoyed the first one.  "He's so nice!" she said about Mr. Rogers.  I was reminded how calm his voice made me feel as a child.
While Ev was watching Mr. Rogers, the rest of the kids started on independent work.  We have 3 children using the math computer, so we have to stay on top of rotating through it.  Mike did invest in a second laptop for us this year to help alleviate some scheduling glitches with Natalee watching science lectures, her and Xavier working through a computer art course, Natalee doing a computer basics course, and at least the oldest three doing a typing course.  Xavier is also using an old computer of ours that Mike upcycled to do his computer coding.  I'm thankful for a handy husband who keeps us running.
Natalee, Mia, and Zayden's math lessons were review for the first day, so no real glitches there.  Xavier picked up his pre-algebra where he paused it in May and got along just fine.
Natalee got to be the first one on the new computer.  Listening to biology lectures with the big textbook beside her!  
At some point we paused for lunch (thank you Nannie and Vance for the fish leftovers!) and I worked through Sonlight core (lit/history/Bible) with Mia and Zayden.  I got sleeeeeepy during the chapter read aloud so we took a break while I made a drink for myself and took a little walk around the year.
Everyone got wrapped up and we declared it a good first day.  I finished my duties of teaching by working through lesson one of Mia and Zayden's science with them - starting off strong with lessons on reflection of light.

Most of the kids headed outside to enjoy the cool day after school, and just ignored the rainy mist that popped up occasionally!
It was a smooth first day!

No comments: