Sunday, July 9, 2023

Weekly Wind Down {Mia and Zayden Go to Camp, Fireworks!, Evie's Daddy Date, Wisdom to Chew On} July 2-8

Sunday brought church, naps for some, and packing for camp, and then out to the Fross' for playing, visiting, and hot dogs on the fire!  We didn't have our whole group together for Bible study, but the Beelers still appreciated the opportunity to gather and play!
Not near all the kids, but please enjoy this fuzzy photo of these sweeties who rushed up the play structure to see fireworks on the horizon.

Monday Mike was off work.  He and Ameliya worked on a necklace holder, after he spent a great deal of time untangling a knot of her necklaces.  Bless.
He also found poppers in the garage that I think Uncle Lance gave us at the end of season last year.  I never do very good with the firecracker stuff - I just don't think of it.  Next year maybe I'll remember to do the snakes and smoke bomb stuff.
But the kids did enjoy the poppers.  Thanks, Uncle Lance.
Monday evening we went to a party that friends from church invited us to.  It was such a nice evening and we got to visit and get to know several folks better.  The kids all found buddies to play with or visit with, which always makes me grateful.
The fireworks show at dark was first rate!
Glow ring!
Mia and Natalee sat with friends during the fireworks.  The boys hung out with us, and Ev went back and forth between us and a little buddy.
I love the meme I saw this year that said "just a reminder, no one is going to watch your fireworks video."  I know....but just in case (wink).

Tuesday we finished packing the Ameliya and Zayden for camp.  We played.  We had sno cones.  We enjoyed each others' company.
Fav pot of flowers this year...can anyone tell me how to make their leaves look happy, though, instead of brown?
Mia hung stained glass art in every window.
Tuesday night we had everyone shower and then we headed out for the city's fireworks show.
In case you didn't get enough from Monday's video.....I just can't help myself. 
For someone who doesn't particularly love loud noises or fire, I sure do love a fireworks show.
Another late night to bed....feels like summer.

Wednesday was a strange day.  Natalee had physical therapy in the morning and that was all for the day.  It felt like all we did was hurry up and wait.  Mia and Zayden were going to camp but drop off wasn't until 5:30 and they were restless all day long.
Telling Daddy good-bye at his lunch break.
I drove the big van and picked up a couple of friends and their kiddos....bus full of excitement!!
This little dude didn't seem nervous at all!  
Neither was Ameliya.
And mom didn't cry - I get points for that.  Having friends to chat with on the ride home sure helped.
Cabin photos from the camp's public Facebook group....I stalked the site all day Thursday waiting for these.
Back home Wednesday night.....Xavier and Evalynn made biscuits for breakfast sandwich supper.
I took a page from my friend, Jessica's, book and made an effort to go to bed earlier Wednesday night.  Trying to set new habits in place before the school year.  I succeeded but I didn't sleep very soundly at all and found myself awake quite a bit throughout the night praying for our campers.

I'll be honest, the rest of the week seemed to drag on a bit, especially for as fast as the first part went.  I felt very disoriented by how quiet the house was.  Thursday wasn't too bad....
We went to hippotherapy.
Evalynn played hair salon with the toy she received from the library for story hour.
Evalynn also had a McDonald's Daddy date and was so pleased.
{showing me her toy}
I got a good chuckle at my little boy who managed to use 2/3 of his canteen fund in the first 24 hours of camp.  
Thursday afternoon Aunt Penny took the oldest two swimming while Evalynn napped.  We'd have like to gone with but the late fireworks nights + a bit of a sniffle (cold? just worn out?) meant she really needed to nap.  Thankful to Aunt Penny for including them!!

Thursday night I went to bed early again and slept better.  Friday morning I was up with the birds and studied my Bible on the back deck.  I was fighting for it to be a good day.
For whatever reason - maybe partly the rain that came through that made the day gray? I struggled to keep my cheer.  Anxiety up, mood down, and I wanted to go get my campers.  I was embarrassed at how hard I was struggling to get myself together.  I finally confessed to my friend, Jessica, and she prayed for me.  Then I gathered my mind, put myself to a task, and started working.  First, I poured into Evalynn, who was also disgruntled at having her play buddies gone.
I got her out a necklace making kit and she strung beads for a long time and did a wonderful job on her necklace.
Aunt Marcia and Aunt Annette stopped by with sweet corn that my folks sent up.  Already shucked - what a treat!  We had some for a late lunch!
Natalee had a zoom appointment, and then while Ev was napping and the big kids were reading/relaxing, I emptied out the school hutch, cleaned, organized, and put away old things.  Later I had the kids help me get out the curriculum for the upcoming year.
Setting my mind to this task took me the rest of the day and was exactly what I needed.
{picture from the FB page}
The boys said this was an indoor swimming contest because they couldn't get in the pool since it was raining.

Saturday I was up early and outside for Bible study again, and then went around and pruned, weeded, etc., the front flowers.  Keep the mind busy - plus I've been reading about the benefits of early morning sun!
The flowers are finally "popping" this year.  The weird cool days right after planting must have just stunned them.
Caught this pretty lady waiting for her brother to come play catch.
And fixed this pretty lady's hair into a bun!
So that I wouldn't watch the clock waiting for the time to leave to pick up my camp kids, I got busy and worked on cleaning my "mom" school shelf!
This cute picture was posted mid-morning.  Zayden was in his swim suit in every photo.
And then it was time to go!  Finally.
Zayden didn't greet me too exuberantly.  Actually I think he was about asleep sitting out in the grass watching some friends play.  His exhaustion was palpable.  
He didn't know his friend, Deacon, from co-op was going to be at camp but he was glad to see him!
Time to pick up the girls!  Would you believe there was never a photo of Mia posted on the camp's page the whole time they were there?  LOL.  Testing my patience.
She was in a cabin with these cute buddies from church and one friend from co-op!  Lucky girl!
Mike and I had talked about going up as a family to get the kids, but in the end I went with Jessica.  It's a lot of car time up and back with not a lot of stretch between the going and coming.
The chatter on the way home was sure entertaining, as the kids regaled us with their tales of camp.  Zayden did not shower the entire time.  He did put on clean unders and said he brushed his teeth!  Mia had ice cream every day - one day she had two things of ice cream in one sitting.  Both kids came home with dog tags like big brother and both said they definitely want to go back next year.  
Back home I started laundry and sent that little boy through the shower...that seemed to rejuvenate him a bit!  I also got out lots of fresh fruits and veggies to help reset their tummies.
Mia also showered and then I worked through her hair good and braided beads into it.
Evie conned her people into games the minute they got home....
Mike planned homemade pizza and movie night as a way to end our week.  Mia and Zayden inhaled their pizza and fresh fruits and veggies.....good to be back home and in mom's kitchen I imagine!
With my house back properly full I promptly fell asleep during the movie.  Finally relaxed.  Ha.

After the movie and tucking in our people I ran to the garden to pick veggies.  Look at those pumpkins grow!  Sure is fun keeping our vines out of the neighbor's garden plot (lol!)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
I read a bit of wisdom that I probably needed reminded of today and it applied a bit to my mood/attitude on Friday.
The writer [Ruth Ann Zimmerman on Instagram] was talking about her garden.  She said, "you know I love gardening...but when it doesn't rain and things are stunted, when there {are} aphids on the beans and bugs in the potatoes, when the dogs have broken down the flowers, I'm still going to practice living a life filled with joy because my Savior still lives, he is still victorious."  Then this line....this is the one that struck me: "If things going wrong in the garden can steal my joy then the garden has become my idol."

I've thought about this a lot honestly.  Have I let my children become my idol?  To the point that I lose my joy when my routine with them is changed?  I don't think missing them is/was wrong.  Perhaps it's not the children that have become the idol as much as my role as "mother."  Just something I'm chewing on (and not just regarding parenting).  I thought it was worth sharing.  

No comments: