Friday, July 21, 2023

Mama Takes on the Town {Shania Twain Concert}

Several weeks ago my sister invited me to go to a Shania Twain concert with her and a couple of other ladies.  It was in the middle of the week and I wasn't sure how it would work out kid-wise but Mike said he would help with the kids and I accepted the invite.  In the end my friend, Jessica, helped with the kids some, too, and Mike juggled working at home or checking in on the kids while he worked in the office and left them at the house.  It was a whirlwind 36 hours but I'm glad I got to go and had a great time!  

When I was a girl there were two music stations we listened to - country if mom was driving and classic rock if Dad was in the car.  I have a healthy balance of Aerosmith, Skynard, Billy Ray Cyrus, and Shania Twain in my brain.  Shania was a country pop icon back in the 90s and, like most other little 90s girls I could belt out whose bed have your boots been under before I really knew what "boots under the bed" meant (wink).  

The concert was a great reminiscent night and no blog post or photo will really capture the details of it well.  Truly it's one of those fun memories that just gets to live in my mind.  But alas, I did try to capture the energy and fun of the evening....
Andrea is a great planner.  She knew to get our hotel right on top of the event center so we could park for the overnight, walk everywhere, and not deal with traffic again.  She showed us around the Power and Light district, which was fun to see since I've heard her and Lauren/Lance talk about it several times.
The air was thiiickkk and it ended up being a "hair up" kinda night.  Thank goodness for claw clips coming back, especially if you're going to a 90s era concert.  All ready!  My shirt was perfect....
The cassettes are She's in Love with the Boy (Trisha Yearwood) and Any Man of Mine (Shania, of course).  {Coincidentally my 7 year old son asked me what a music "tape" was the other day....bet that's the kind of sting my folks felt when we asked about 8-tracks.}
The first song was not one of Shania's oldies, and I think us middle agers were a little skeptical....but them she ramped up with a throwback and put on an amazing show.
{Can we talk about how great it is that belt bags are also back?  I don't care whether we call them fanny packs or belt bags or whether we hang them crossways or around our waists, they are the real MVPs of motherhood.}
Thanks for such a fun invitation, Sis!
THE original leopard outfit from the Music Hall of Fame that Shania wore in her music video 25 years ago.
After the concert we stopped back by the hotel and then went out to find some grub!  Pizza was great, even at midnight!
And regardless of a late night and lots of excitement, I was still up first and creeping not so quietly out of the hotel to sit in the breakfast area because sleeping is a thing I used to do, but not so much anymore.
Only watch these video clips if you're a fan of half rate videos in which you greatly hear other people singing along with a famous music artist.  Which we did.  Everyone word.  Until our throats were raw.
Mothering is the best gig.  It's also the hardest.  This was a lovely break.

No comments: