Friday, March 17, 2023

Natalee's Home Economics Course {Bread Week}

This year I set Natalee up with the free Home Economics course by Amy Maryon as part of her school coursework.  I have loved watching her work through this curriculum.  Amy does such a good job of not assuming you have a knowledge base of something.  She explains the details, walks through the small steps, and helps the student build confidence.  
To be honest, Natalee should be well past week 8 {bread week} of her curriculum but alas, I kept putting it off.  I love to bake.  I'm a decent cook.  But only just the last couple of years have I gained my own confidence in yeasted breads.  Natalee thought she might need some guidance with this lesson and I kind of dragged my feet.  Tried to find a way to pass it off to grandma Cindy.  Shame on me.  
Natalee has patiently asked me more than once if this could be the week to tackle bread, both so she can move and and so she can give it a go.  So patient to her mother.
Tuesday I told her I was going to make bread and every time I did another step I was going to call her to the kitchen to watch, and then later this week she'd give it a go and just use me as a resource.  This method tends to work better for us because I tend to be an unintentional "taker-over" and Natalee is working on building confidence.
Today was her bread day - finally.  Bless.
I reminded her to start early enough to get both rises in before supper, so mid morning she proofed her yeast and mixed up her dough.  
A successful first rise!
Realizing she forgot oil and pressing ahead regardless.  {wink}  It'll be okay.
Giving the loaves a little workover and shape.
The loaves all rose well and into the oven they went.
Buttering the tops just like Grandma does.
Beautiful bread!
We had the privilege of making supper for some of our friends who are going through a rough time, and Natalee graciously sent a loaf of fresh bread along with their supper, leaving us these two beauties.
Her bread had a lovely crust and was light and springy {and delicious}.  Well done, Natalee.  So proud of you!

No comments: