Sunday, December 18, 2022

Weekly Wind Downs {The Weeks We Gave to Influenza} Dec 4-17th

Sunday, December 4th - we got to do the Advent reading and candle lighting at church.  Then we came home, and while Evie napped the big kids babysat and Mike and I ran to do a bit of Christmas shopping.
The rest of the afternoon was for play-doh, an hour of outside time, and our own Advent.
Monday was a school day, and during morning time we talked about St. Nicholas.  Monday evening I encouraged the kids to put their shoes out for treats, as follows the tradition of St. Nicholas Day.
Alas, I wasn't around when they found their treats, as a virus hit me like a ton of bricks and I never got out of bed.  Thus went the next two weeks in our home.  
Soup, resting, coughing, spitting, upset stomachs, vitamins, hydration, more resting, more coughing...
On Friday we tried to celebrate Natalee's birthday.  Poor thing.  I also took an appointment to urgent care and was disappointed to learn that this virus could last for up to two weeks.  They gave me an inhaler for my lungs and I inquired about whether family members without symptoms could leave for activities and the doctor assured me they could.
So, Saturday, Mike took my spot as volunteer lane timer and Natalee got to go to her swim meet.
She beat her time in the 50 freestyle and 100 freestyle again and tried something new - the 50 yard breaststroke.  She disqualified for a stroke error but we're so proud of her for trying!
The rest of us stayed home and rested.
Being sick consumed our next week of December as well.  Such a disappointment.
We abused water with long bathtub soaks (glow stick baths) and warm showers.
We began week 3 of Advent.
On Tuesday I took Zayden in to the clinic to be checked.  While I tested positive for nothing on Friday, he did test positive for Influenza A.  His lungs were okay, so we went home to just be more patient.
The countdown calendar has been kind of a disappointment as so many of the activities we haven't felt like doing or been able to do - look at Christmas lights, make gingerbread houses, go to Jace's Lion King play, and others that were about co-op, story time at the Book Vault, etc.  
We've snuggled.  Watched too much TV.  Tried to get fresh air everyday.  Coughed.  And napped.  So much napping.  Granny Sara sent food up with Aunt Penny and it helped us get through the worst of the days.
The ones who could do independent subjects did so and the rest of us just got through the days.

On Thursday I turned 37.  It was another just getting by day.  Bless my sisters who sent pizza, bread sticks, and cinnamon sticks and tried to make the day special.  The sickness caught up to Mike early in the week so he tried but really he just needed to rest and had plenty of work to do from home.
Mike went back to work Friday and worked all weekend on a project.  Saturday the kids played so nicely and I wrapped some presents.  
We all laid down to nap in the afternoon and slept so hard none of us heard Papa Curtis stop by and drop off fries and frosties.  Zayden was even asleep right on the couch and said he didn't hear him.  We've needed all that sleep to recover.
Just like that, December is slipping by.  I'm devastated that we've missed so much, but trying to hold to all we've got and be thankful we all remained at home through our sickness.

No comments: