Wednesday, December 21, 2022

Christmas Light Night {And the Honest Truth}

We drove around looking at Christmas lights last night and this photo is as magical as I anticipated.  I sure do love this crew.
We drove to Pella and then back to Osky to tour the houses that won awards in the lights competition.
I printed off scavenger hunt checklists and the kids got all but 2 things on the list, I think!
The truth is, this looks like a magical night on the outside but in reality it was kind of beautiful with a side of hard.  
We left early and got home by 7:15 for a light supper because I didn't want to spend $50 on fast food, but I also really would have loved to have used that convenience.  
I didn't make hot chocolate because I didn't want to take a half dozen potty breaks (sugary drinks run through these kids).  
The bus windows kept frosting over because it was so cold outside - don't know if you've ever tried to see Christmas lights when your window is frosted but it's actually kind of difficult - so the kids kept having to scrape them down.  
Evie kept yelling, "where? I can't see!"  
The cold air when we got out in Pella exacerbated several kids' coughs.  
Also, just like after I had covid, I am dealing with waves and waves of vertigo following my bout with influenza.  I assume it's in my ears, but I know nothing is infected (had them checked) so I don't really know what to do about it except deal.  I'm taking good care of my body but it's hard to be cheery when you are 'car sick' in your own house, let alone when you go for a drive.  Yesterday morning I woke up feeling so good and "normal" (which is when I suggested light night) and then got slammed with dizziness in the afternoon.  I'm not driving, which means the errands are left to Mike, and he's trying to recover, too.  It's discouraging.  It eats at my anxiety (is it something in the house?  is my body giving up?  will it be like this forever?) but I know those things are lies from the one who is the biggest windbag of lies out there.  But also, I'm tired of disappointed kids because "mom needs to rest."  They deserve to live life to the fullest.  So....I do it tired.  I do it when it's hard.  And it was a sweet night, even though it was kind of hard.  I'm no hero - that's the the point here - the point is to just remember that behind every beautiful lighted arch Christmas photo is a hot mess express so just hold on tight.  Do it when it's hard, if you can, and if you can't, take a little rest.  And know, if it's a little hard this season that I see you.  Making the magic.  You joy spreader.  I see you doing it scared.  When it's hard.  And I'm praying for you.
And if it's not hard for you this season....if you've genuinely got the holly jollies....you go, you!
Merry Christmas, friends.  My love to you.  
And as a bonus.....please enjoy Mia and Zayden trying to make sure their breath can be seen in the picture.  There is beautiful, laughable, lovable joy even in the hard.

No comments: