Sunday, July 17, 2022

Weekly Wind Down {Girls Camp, Lots of Boys!, No Appointments!?} July 10-16

The week was a weird mix of slower paces and zero appointments.  With both girls at camp the calendar was completely clear, and I found myself reluctant to go do any of the "extras" the town has (library programs, etc) because it felt so good to just be home day after day.  The children probably don't feel the same way as this middle aged mom.  

Xavier had the Bottin boys and the Brummer boys over on Sunday afternoon so I took the girls up to camp while Mike held down the fort and kept an eye on the boy play (and Ev in the mix!)

This was Mia's first time at camp as a full fledged camper and she was very excited.  Natalee was as excited as always for her week away at Girls Camp and neither were terribly sad to see me go.  
It turns out I didn't go for long.  I saw Natalee's shoes with her brace and orthotics in them in the van as soon as I got back home, but waited until the next day to drive them back up.  Evie road along with me but the boys went to work with Mike.  They are able to be truly helpful to him and he said they are willing workers.
Mia was excited to show me her green swim band, meaning she'd passed the swim test and had access to all the pool, when I returned Monday morning.
She hugged me several times but never had tears and said she was doing great and wanted to stay.  I visited for just a bit and then Ev and I headed back home.

Quinn and Cade came over to play many times this week and Evie and I spent a lot of time engaging in sensory play outside.  Zayden tried really hard to hang with the big boys and did a great job keeping up, but occasionally came to be with mom and Ev and take a slower pace for awhile.
I'm trying valiantly to remember what I fun mom I was with the first kids and help Evalynn have the same experiences.  
The first kids had a front porch for their messes.  Evalynn has a back deck.
Mike worked nights this week but it wasn't as much of a hardship to me as it usually feels.  Perhaps it was the less children or maybe it was that we didn't have appointments for running during the day so I wasn't just so worn feeling.
This night everyone was ready for bed but it wasn't quite bedtime...the big boys asked for electronic time but I was enjoyed the stillness and said nah.  I came in to found they had both otherwise engaged their brains and I remembered how glad I was that we strictly limit screens.
We hooked up the sink table for Evie.
We've left it out for a few days but I do cover it to make sure it doesn't get sun brittle.
The shaving cream was too much for Zayden to resist.
Zayden invited me to play a game and I was quick to agree.  When they have each other so much they don't always invite me in anymore.
My kitchen helper.
She thrives on being near me.  Helping.  Always helping.

One evening, Xavier and Zayden got invited to go mini golfing with Quinn and Cade and their family.  Mike seized that opportunity and took Ev to ride her scooter in the empty hall at work for an hour and I had just a bit of time to myself.  Relish.
She was ready for mama to come get her though, while Daddy finished working.  He worked later than "closing" several evenings this week.
These boys were a gem to have in our home and to get to know.  I also appreciated getting to visit with Lannea, their mom, and loved that her daughter was Mia's camp dorm counselor.  They are from Colorado but Lannea's folks live around the corner from us.
We sure do hope our paths cross again!

Mike and Xavier were running network lines in the house Friday since Mike had the day off, so the younger two and I went back to camp to get the girls.
They both had a great week but looked tired.  We had a quiet evening and quiet Saturday just letting them rest and recover.

Both girls received the award for memorizing each verse set before them during the week.  So pleased with their efforts!
A few pics from the camp Facebook page....
I closed out the week on the porch swing enjoying Saturday evening.  My front flower bed sure has taken on a jungle appearance this year.  The wave petunias and snapdragons seem to be in wild competition.
(That front window frame is on the maintenance list.....it's a fine balance, being a renter, and learning to be patient with repairs that we would do right away.)




No comments: