Monday, July 30, 2018

First Day of School! {2018-19}

School is back in session!  This summer has not gone at all like we anticipated, and we were all craving the familiar, comfortable, sweet routine of school, so we charged forth with kicking off the actual educational year.  Of course, homeschooling never stops - these kids learn ALL day, everyday!

We started today, but Friday will be our official kick-off fun day because Principal Daddy will be home. 

Our line-up...
This is my 10th year of teaching, my 13th year in education.  I used to think the years I've homeschooled weren't as important as my years in the public school system, but I've realized I am not defined by a paycheck, which is really the only difference.  I am, quite possibly, making a bigger impact on the world here at home, than I was in a school building.  I am important.  I am also working on loving myself.
Beyond the school books of my children, I will be continuing my daily Busy Mom's Bible Studies, finish read Teaching From Rest, and then move on to Present Over Perfect and A Warrior Called Mom.  I also want to start a devotional book with my Monday Morning Mommy Friends...possibly Becoming Mom Strong by Heidi St. James, as recommended by my friend Carrie.


4th grade!? What?  We don't know how it happened.  The girl that gave us the very purpose for homeschooling is growing up right in front of us. 
  • Rod & Staff Reading, grade 4 (reading)
  • Teaching Textbooks 4 (math)
  • Nature Unfolds with supplemental reading (science)
  • Song School Spanish 1 & 2 (foreign language)
  • Sonlight Core D, Intro to American History (history, geography, Bible)
  • Young Peacemakers (character training)
  • Write Shop, Jr. D (grammar, writing)
  • Piano Lessons (music)
  • typing.com (tying)
  • Pentime (handwriting)
  • Usborne art books (art)
  • Bicycle riding and co-op phys. ed, possibly co-op ballet (PE)
Most Excited About: Spanish
Least Favorite Subject: "I don't have a least favorite subject."  
We will also be working hard to get this girl in the kitchen more, and will be addressing some of her physical limits with a doctor soon.  We will continue education in personal care and growing up.  Natalee is routine and unpredictably predictable.  She reminds me to plan ahead and set our days up for success.

Our resident 3rd grader has matured a lot over the summer.  He is extremely inquisitive, pays attention to little details, and remembers everything.
  • Rod & Staff Reading, grade 2-3 (reading)
  • Teaching Textbooks 4 (math)
  • Nature Unfolds with supplemental reading (science)
  • Song School Spanish 1 & 2 (foreign language)
  • Sonlight Core D, Intro to American History (history, geography, Bible)
  • Young Peacemakers (character training)
  • Write Shop, Jr. D (grammar, writing)
  • YouTube beginner guitar lessons (guitar)
  • typing.com (tying)
  • Pentime (handwriting)
  • Usborne art books (art)
  • Bicycle riding and co-op phys. ed, possibly community sports activites (PE)
Most Excited About: Family Reading
Least Favorite Subject: "Probably history."  
Xavier is extremely physical and active, so I'm going to try to plug him in to more of the public sports options.  He also enjoys being in the kitchen and fixing things.  We will look for ways to get him involved in age appropriate mechanic/construction opportunities with family and around the house. Xavier is a doer, a fixer.  He reminds me to see the good in everything and every situation. 

This little preschooler's first job is to obtain and maintain good health.  We will be working on good nutrition, rest, and listening to her body's needs.  However, she's most excited for...
  • calendar math
  • letter of the week curriculum, using Confessions of a Homeschooler curriculum, letter people, and compilation of other things mommy has collected over the years
  • cutting
  • gluing
  • writing her full name
  • recognizing and writing capital and lowercase letters
  • recognizing letter sounds 
  • painting
  • reading good, rich literature
  • Jesus Calling Bible stories, 1 a day
Mia is delicate, but oh so strong.  She reminds me to slow down and live in this moment, right here.

Never to be left behind, this kid will continue on his journey in the "school of life."  This year's docket includes
  • potty training
  • obedience instruction
  • lowercase letter memorization (he knows his capitals)
  • proper pencil grasp
  • picking up one activity before moving to another
  • sitting quietly during read alouds/devotions
  • Jesus Calling Bible stories, 1 a day
  • calendar math
  • cutting
  • gluing
  • painting
  • making messes!
  • reading stories
  • maybe writing his name
I picked out a cute striped shirt this morning with navy blue shorts for pictures today.  Obviously you see I chose to not pick that battle when he proudly declared "I wear my Lightning shirt for school!"  He did calendar with Mia and I this morning, colored his Mr. M Letter person, and read our creation Bible story.  The picture in the story about God creating the world reminded him of his planets floor puzzle, which he worked on for 20 minutes before cleaning up and getting out his cars!  Zayden is busy.  He is full of life.  He reminds me to relax and smile more.

This morning I got up and started my day before my kids woke.  I had devotions on the porch and I prayed for a blessed school year.  I prayed for God to help me remember to point my troops back to Him, no matter what we are doing, and to put our Bible/character training lessons first, beyond any other instruction.  We have actually had a few hiccups already this morning, but we've been able to handle them with a great deal of grace.  Here's to many more days like this one.

No comments: