Thursday, December 5, 2013

Natalee's FIFTH Birthday - The Beginning

I got the brilliant idea to make Natalee a knitted blanket for her birthday.  She chose a rainbow blanket and I did it block style because I'm simple. ;)

We chose 10 colors - 8 are Berroco worsted weight vintage/comfort and 2 are Caron Simply Soft.  
I started the rainbow blanket right after I finished my baby sister's bridal shower blanket in May.

I do realize that means I knitted this rainbow blanket for almost 6 months.  Sigh.  I'm diligent and dedicated, albeit slow.  I casted off and sewed in the ends yesterday (the 4th) and intended to put it up until Natalee's actual birthday on the 9th.  However, she noticed that I had casted on a different project (a scarf for Xavier - yay for small projects!) and asked about her rainbow blanket.  Being the {sometimes} overly soft mommy that I am, of course I gave it to her.  She didn't even care that I hadn't wrapped it.  She love, loves it and that gives a mommy a feeling that radiates all kinds of warmness on the inside.  

It was hard to display to get a picture of all the colors.  There's a turquoise-ish blue in the fold that you can just barely see a glimpse of where I've looped it over. As you can see it's plenty big.  It would cover me quite comfortably from my toes to snuggle up over my shoulders and is plenty wide.  She can grow and hopefully not outgrow this lovey.  I believe I casted on 160 stitches on size 9 circular needles.  Each color block has 48 rows, using a whole skein of the Berroco colors we chose with a scarily small amount of each left over. 
She was very snuggly tonight.  I'm praying it's the new lovey and not that she's coming down with something.  

Baby brother, Xabey, was a little jealous and wants to know when I'm starting on his.  Le sigh.  He was promised one for his birthday in June.  I better start SOON!  He wants gray, blue, and lots of yellow!  We'll see what I can do with that.

Oh Natalee - I thought if I didn't finish the blanket you wouldn't go ahead and turn five but I guess it was inevitable.  Love you so much, sis.  We're so blessed that God gave us you!

{Shout out of thanks to the baby keeper [http://www.etsy.com/shop/thebabykeeper] / [https://www.facebook.com/thebabykeeper] for help getting this project set up and rolling and for encouragement as I went.  My hubby is cousins with her hubby, making us family and friends...lucky me!}

No comments: